Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
We started digging our first pool on Wednesday. Here are the details

20x46 rectangle
Corner stairs with a bench all the way across the shallow end
Water Depth is 3' for the first seven feet, then slopes to 3.5' for the next seventeen feet then slopes to 8' in the deep end
Loop Loc liner- Maho Bay with Kontiki bottom with texture in stairs and bench
Diving board
2 color logic led lights
2 laminar jets
1.5 hp pump
500# sand filter
400k BTU NG heater
Salt water generator
Hayward PS 4 basic automation
Sharkvac cleaner

After a few hours of digging on Wednesday a quarter inch of rain has put things at a standstill. I am hopeful we can make some progress today.

More to come...

Re: 20 x 46 New Build in Iowa

Look at all that dirt! Doesn't seem like a lot but once you get moving... Oh my goodness! We moved a lot of dirt that brought our yard up to nearly level at the foot of it!

Congrats on your new pool!

After day three (day 2 of work) it's starting to look like a pool...sort of. The excavator got stuck in the shallow end. It seems like they over dug the deep end and the excavator treads ripped up the shallow end. Can they recover from this and still have a solid floor of the pool?

The crew isn't happy with the way the hole looks because of the mud. We are excited for the day when all this dirt is gone.

http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/Pvpool/slideshow/

The crew worked a half day today and accomplished a lot. The mess of the shallow end was attended to with a little rock and the walls are starting to take shape.

I really like the corner stairs and the bench, these will be used a ton.

More photos added...

We are using a builder. I thought about DIY but not too seriously.

The under liner steps and bench were a $2,700 up charge, one of the more expensive options but it will be used a ton. We were going to do walk in steps all across the edge with the second step about 3 feet long (like a sun ledge) but decided this was perfect and less expensive.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I have a question about placement of the laminar jets. We are going to put 2 of them on the left side of the pool both landing in the shallow end. The builder wants to put them just off the deck in the landscaping but I THINK I'd rather have them built into the deck. Any advice either way?

The concrete around the pool was poured today. They said they might drop the liner on Monday. We still have to get power and NG out to the equipment pad and get everything hooked up. Oh and still have a huge dirt pile in the yard...I am hopefully all that happens next week.

We are going to do more concrete but we aren't sure where yet. The pool contractor does standard 4' aprons but would have done up to 6' for $6.50/ sq ft extra. With the gradual slope I want to make sure the patio is done right, not just fast.

Best case; liner and last dirt removal on Monday, fence and plumber for NG line on Wednesday and Thursday and electrician on Thursday/Friday. I am still hoping to swim next weekend but with a delay in the laminar jets coming in the electrician might not finish ahead of the weekend.

One of the things I learned is that even a little rain creates delays. The crew finished the vermiculite in the shallow end on Monday but another slow drizzle in the morning kept the crew from working today.

I am hopeful that the deep end can be done tomorrow and they can start with the liner and filling the pool. We still have to move some dirt for the plumber and electrician to get NG and power to the equipment pad. I am holding on tight to the off chance we are swimming this weekend.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 149
The liner was dropped on Thursday. After a couple days the pool was full. We spent some time the last few days in the pool but without gas/power to the equipment pad it is a little cool (we celebrated hitting 70 degrees yesterday).

I love the liner color and the stairs and bench.

We are running the pump with an extension cord to keep the water clear until the plumber and electrician can get here. Even with no grass, no heat and a temporary orange fence (the real fence is coming tomorrow) we are loving the pool.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 83
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.