Polaris vs Hayward booster pump?

May 30, 2014
Bowling Green
My booster pump (Polaris BP4) seal is making a lot of noise and leaking. I know that I could get a seal kit and do the repair but it's an older pump that showed signs of binding upon startup this Spring so I'm thinking of just installing a new one. As a relatively new inground pool owner I'm confused as to which brand of new pump to go with. Polaris and Hayward pumps seem to be the most common but I've not found any information regarding the merits of one brand over the other. Hayward is generally more expensive and I'm wondering if that price difference translates into better service life? Also note that there are single and dual speed pumps available but don't know what the advantage of a dual speed would be. Anyone with experience and/or opinions on one brand over the other care to share?

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Brands don't seem to matter much as all the pump bodies seem to be made by A.O. Smith.

I don't think there is a 2-speed booster pump.

Thanks for the feedback. So I guess I might as well save a few $ and go with the less expensive Polaris? Seems that the seals are what are most problematic part of the pump anyhow. I also noted a Pentair LA-MS05 Boost-Rite with a 5 stage involute design but haven't found any user reviews so have no idea if this "new" product would be worth the extra cost and/or have better longivity.

You are correct about the 2-speed issue. I'll likely also need a main pump before long and was looking at those and just got confused when I wrote the post.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.