Installing mastic, DIY?

May 30, 2014
Walnut Creek, CA
I recently purchased a house that has a pool. During the pool inspection, it was shared the pool currently does not have mastic between the tile and the connecting patio foundation and would need it. I am not ready to start on the project and want to know if this is something I can do myself or if it is worth the money to have a professional do it. I am willing to do it and am not afraid to learn, as I have done several DIY projects around the house already. I have done some research online and have called a few pool stores. From what I can tell it looks as though Deck O Seal seems to be a common item used, but I would like to hear from others as well. Also, in some places there is at least 1.5 inch gap between the pool tile and the concrete patio, from what I have read online, I believe I should put rope in the gap before using the mastic. If this is the case, any recommendations on what type of rope I should use? Any help and advice you can offer is truly appreciated.

Thank you
Nic

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Polyurethane caulk is commonly used at that gap. However, I would not be comfortable using it 1.5" wide. I think I would get a professional to at least give you a price quote and tell you what he suggests in lieu of polyurethane.

"mastic" implies something adhesive to bond two things together so probably not the best thing to search for. I think you'll want to search for "caulk" to frind suggestions

Also, in some places there is at least 1.5 inch gap between the pool tile and the concrete patio, from what I have read online, I believe I should put rope in the gap before using the mastic. If this is the case, any recommendations on what type of rope I should use?

The "rope" that's commonly used is known in the trade as backer rod and is made out of plastic foam. If you go to....

http://www.bayindustries.com/media/35076/backer-rod-catalog.pdf

...you'll find a very detailed description and how it's supposed to be used. 1.5 inches is an industrial sized gap and from your description i can't tell if it's on the horizontal deck surface or the vertical tile to coping surface.

There are many manufacturers of backer rod. Home Depot sells some very limited sizes but for more uncommon sizes you would have to go to a local concrete/masonry supply company.

SL stands for "Self-Leveling". That will not work on a vertical surface. I'm not sure a 1.5 in gap is normal. It's almost as if someone didn't complete a course of cut tile so the gap wouldn't have to be so large. The inspectors report may have used the word "mastic" but he may have left out other details of what's missing. Suggest you get someone out to your pool who's an expert and ask them what they would do to make it right.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.