What do I have going on here??

PoolnTN

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 3, 2014
Tennessee
I am trying to proactively get my handrail loose so I can remove it for closing. Previously it was left in and worked around I suppose. I can get some movement in the top hole but the bottom is totally rigid. I've been reading up and understand the wedge and bolt arrangement with the bottom hole...but what about the left? Is it just a hole with no wedge that's filled with crud and corrosion?

It looks like the concrete finisher slopped some over the bolt. If that's the case, the concrete will be thin and you can chip it easily.

I scraped in there and sure enough it was either concrete finisher or runoff from the patio concrete eroding. I was able to see the hole (I assume) in the wedge. What would be the best thing to pour into the hole to try and loosen it up? PB Blaster, CLR?

I don't remember, but I think further than that. Raining right now or I'd go check.

When you move the end of the railing back and forth, does the tubing move in the rear hole? You might try having somebody work the rail back and forth while you try pushing and pulling the tube over the stuck hole.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.