Bronze Supporter
Mar 23, 2014
south central PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Our 28 ft round above ground pool was just set up. We have had 3 loads of water trucked in, about 18,000 gallons (topping up the rest with our own well water, it is almost there). The water comes from a municipal source (Gettysburg water, if anyone likes American History ;)).

Here are my results from my TF-100 kit so far:

FC: 0
CC: 0.5 ppm ((???) on this - it turned a slight pink)
PH: 7.2
TA: 60
CH: 100
CYA: 0

Would these results make sense for a municipal water source, or have I made an error somewhere?

Pool builders put nothing into the pool. I have been instructed to take my sample to the pool store tomorrow morning, where they will then test it then give me instructions and the chemicals that come with the pool.

I'm planning on getting my chemicals (you know, "free" :p) and then doing the TFP calculations and working with the chlorine, CYA, etc from there. Think that will work? Advice, suggestions, etc?

We will take all the help we can get! Much thanks!!!

You are totally on the right track.

Many municipal water systems chlorinate with FC, others use one of the forms of CC to chlorinate. In any case CC at 0.5 is fine.

I would add 2 ppm of chlorine this evening, though if you skip/miss that this once you should be alright, and again every evening until 24 hours after you add CYA.

I won't be able to add that tonight, but I was going to go over first thing tomorrow morning to get the CYA, etc.

On the pool math calculator it says "Goal: Not set up", so once I get those set up chemicals in (CYA and chlorine) then I should be good to go to follow the calculator?

I won't be able to add that tonight, but I was going to go over first thing tomorrow morning to get the CYA, etc.

On the pool math calculator it says "Goal: Not set up", so once I get those set up chemicals in (CYA and chlorine) then I should be good to go to follow the calculator?
Goal is down near the bottom. Select the pool surface and whether you're using a SWG and if you want to use the TFp recommendations or not.

Ok, so I went to the pool store to pick up the chemicals that I thought were supposed to come with our pool set up...and, I don't even want to talk about it. But they did sample my water for me.

Their results gave (compared with mine from the night before in brackets):
FC 0 (0)
CC 0 (0.5)
pH 7.6 (7.2)
CH 34 (100)
TA 44 (60)
CYA 59 (0)

I was confused about the CYA measuring 59 without any stabilizer having been added? She suggested the municipality may have added it to keep chlorine in the water?

Anyway, I got some cal-hypo (65%) to add to get some chlorine. I haven't added anything else (I didn't want to add any CYA until I checked in here).

Here are my results now.
FC 3.5 ppm
CC 0 (maybe a touch pink in the test???)
pH 7.5 (up a bit)
CH 100 (same as yesterday)
TA 70 (up a bit)
CYA 0 (same)

Could I really have some CYA and I'm doing the test wrong? This seems critical to me (and I really think I've followed the test directions correctly? My test tube with the dot has been crystal clear each time?).

If I go with these current results looking at pool math, I'm thinking this should be what I do next(???):

Add baking soda (8+ lbs)
Add calcium chloride (29 lbs)
Add about 2 gal stabilizer

Plus probably more chlorine as my chlorine numbers will probably drop from what I've tested with no CYA?

Not gonna lie. I'm feeling a little on the worried/confused side. I don't want to ruin anything, and the CYA results have me puzzled. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Tap water will have no CYA in it. Period. The pool store tested wrong and tried to bull their way out of it.

You don't need Calcium in a vinyl pool. It will rise with evaporation and refills and the Cal-hypo you bought. Don't buy the increaser.

The baking soda would be okay to add, since CYA is after all an acid, and will lower pH and TA a tiny bit. I get 6 lbs to get to 80ppm.

Get that stabilizer in there! 2 gallons in 20000 pool shows CYA increases to 37. Good number. You could overshoot 1/3 and still be in the safe zone. And if you undershoot, it's no big deal to add more.

OK, tomorrow morning I'm going to get the stabilizer and add that. I'm not going to do anything about the calcium and I will get some baking soda. Then just keep testing to make sure it all stays stable and those CYA/chlorine numbers are within range.

I feel better already...

I don't want to ruin anything, and the CYA results have me puzzled.
Another classic example of one of the tenant's of TFPC.....trust your own testing.

Pool Store's explanation is totally bogus and indicates a serious lack of knowledge about Pool Water Chemistry. CYA gets into your pool ONLY if you put it there.

You are on the right track. Trust your test results and the advice from this forum.

Another update...

Got the CYA in. Had to add more chlorine as levels had dropped (I added bleach at pool math recommended dose). I also added some baking soda (about 6 lbs).

Here are this evenings results:

FC 5.5
CC 0
pH 7.2
TA 90
CYA 25

So, I'm thinking that I'm not to do much right now? The CYA was granules, so that could take some time to dissolve to get up to the goal of 30-40. If the goal CYA is between 30 - 40, I should aim for chlorine between 4 - 5.

How do you think this is looking so far? Should I do anything about raising the pH right now, or wait until the CYA is fully dissolved?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It looks good. The CYA may bring the pH down a hair but if it does, you can bring it up with borax. :goodjob:

First do nothing for your PH. 7.2 is fine and will probably raise some on its own.
About your CYA. What level did you target ? 40 would be a good target and the FC level for that would be a min of 3 and I would be targeting 7. If you targeted 30 your min FC level is 2 and you should target 6. What ever level you aimed for just assume it's there and adjust your FC level for it. ?

So I'm on my way!

Now that I've got it in a good place, I keep up with the tests and make adjustments accordingly using the Pool Math.

Thanks so much for the input! It is much appreciated, and I feel fairly confident that we'll be able to maintain this with the test kit.

:D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.