Mar 23, 2014
south central PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So here we go...

After much research/debate/soul-searching/etc we decided on an above ground pool. We have 3 boys (10, 7 and 5), and we thought this would be a great time to do something like this. We went with the Doughboy Autumn Breeze, largely because we wanted to be able to put in a deep end (and I had read a lot of good Doughboy reviews).

We have a tree filled back yard (which we like, we also have 3 dogs to go with the 3 boys and the trees are good camouflage for the chaos that creates ;)). Here is our starting point...

KristisiPhoneDecember2013-May2014276.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We had to remove some of the trees that were right in the middle of the yard (we'll keep all the surrounding ones). We are trying to keep one of them. We may have to make a decision on that one later, depending on the deck situation. Good thing those suckers have shallow roots, the bobcat arrived on Tuesday and made short work of our yard...

KristisiPhoneDecember2013-May2014571.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

KristisiPhoneDecember2013-May2014597.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

KristisiPhoneDecember2013-May2014588.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Play set has been moved to the other side of the yard for the time being. Pool building crew arrived the next day and got down to work...

KristisiPhoneDecember2013-May2014610.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

0ed3b07e-49b4-4f15-9332-d17ee76913a0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Water going into the liner (it's the Doughboy Blue Bayou liner, looks darker in real life than the pic on the web)...

KristisiPhoneDecember2013-May2014617.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

After 2 (6,000 gallon) loads of water...

KristisiPhoneDecember2013-May2014619.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Third load of water went into today (and we are topping up with our own well water). At $210 for a load of water, I'm starting to realize that this pool water chemistry business is kind of important. So it is a good thing my water testing kit arrived today (Thanks TFTest peeps! Quick shipping, everything as advertised, I'll post results in another thread).

The electrical people came today, finished up the electrical work (we had a very small local company do it, which was great. He was talking to the guy who does the inspections this morning to make sure he would have everything up to par for that), did the bonding as well.

Now we are waiting on a crew to come and put in the footings for our deck (the plan is to go all the way around). Once the footings are in, we will (fingers-crossed) do the rest (there is a very large load of lumber in driveway as I type this). Kids are super-excited and can't wait to be swimming.

I'll update with deck pics, they are not supposed to be coming until late next week. In the meantime, time to get that water balanced!

Thanks so much for the great info in this forum, I've learned a lot! (And I love looking at everyone's pics :D).

Thanks Casey, we are so excited!

And I feel like I should actually be thanking you...I've really learned a lot from this forum. And I know I still have lots to learn. I really appreciate the quick replies and the good advice :D.

So...Thanks!

Well, it works because you make it work! You put the time in to read the material and you ask questions and we guide you. So pat yourself on the back for doing your homework in Pool School! :cool:

Looks great and that Test Kit Rocks!
Dont forget to print out or write down a copy of all the recommended levels and keep it in the test kit for quick reference.

Keep us posted with any questions you have!

Throw the kids in and enjoy!

Looks really nice! enjoy your pool. We are in SE PA and have 3 kids, 3 dogs, and a partially wooded lot that looks similar to yours. We put in a 30 foot round with a deep center and have absolutely loved it. We added solar to keep it warm all summer and we were swimming through October. Make sure you get a good test kit and really follow pool school. We opened up to a green pool and had to fight our way back to blue because I thought I understood it but didn't really. Now I am a testing freak - ugh! Good luck and enjoy! Hope the weather gets warmer soon!

Yep, there was definitely a lot of whining about not being able to go in the pool RIGHT NOW!!!!! Please, please, please...you get the idea.

Wiggledog, we are west of you towards Gettysburg. How big is your solar panel? I'd like to do this, warm water and swimming through October is my goal!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.