Has our T-cell gone to heaven?

NCSalt

Apr 26, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Hi all...

We recently had a new digital Prologic unit installed for our SWG system....well, it gave me a salt reading of below 1200 for over a week even though I had added Salt. I was beyond frustrated because I had to leave town and nobody was going to care for the pool for an entire month. I was able to program filtering etc, so that worked while I was gone, however, as I was able to read the levels through the app on my phone the salt level all the sudden sky-rocket to 4200 ppm.....I did a manual test today and the test strips stated that the level is above the number 4 on the strip which supposedly equals 1200 ppm.

I am at a LOSS, I have no idea what is going on anymore....digital unit says its way above 4000 and manual test strip says 1200....on top of it all the green monster is alive and well and I am ready to fill the dang thing in with concrete (just kidding, I am just super frustrated).

Could it be that the cell went bad? And if so, should I replace T-15 with a T-9, the pool is barely 20K gallons.

Read outs today:
Hardiness: very low
Total chlorine: very low
Free chlorine: very low
PH: 7.2
Alk: 140
Stabilizer: below 50

HELP!!! THANKS!

What test kit are you using? You need to drive over to tftestkits.net and get a TF-100 ... you will get it next day. I would not recommend going to a smaller cell than the T-15 though.

I am not sure what to tell you about the SWG, but to clear the pool up, you do not need the SWG working. You need to follow the SLAM Process which is usually done with the SWG turned off.

So work on clearing up the pool and then deal with the SWG. Did you add salt with the SWG turned on? That is generally no recommended.

jblizzle -

Thanks for the reply....yes, I think the SWG was on when I added the salt, was a month ago (and I was gone for that time and just returned)....I will slam the pool and then go from there. I have to take the pool vaccum out and backwash first as there was plenty of dirt in the pool as well (pollen, stringy stuff and lot's of beetles this year-yuck, plus tree frogs who cannot detect the salt I guess....lol). Anyways, thanks again. I will update tomorrow!

NCSALT!

Hey All-

Been adding bleach to Slam-Shock the Pool RESULT - the green monster is now gone - still slightly cloudy but definitely blue instead of green.

BTW: I do have the TF-100 test kit. I am out of the solution to determine the CYA and will need to order that. FOUND IT...got some left to do one test!

TESTING TODAY:
Digital Salt Read out: 4100
Air Temp: 80
Pool Temp: 79

BlueBox Kit -
Chlorine: above 5 (shock level)
Ph: 7.5

TA: 50
CYA/Stabilizer (via test strip as I am out of the solution): 0 IT IS TRULY "0" according to the TF-100 test kit as well....TIME to raise it!!!

I will read up in a minute how I can get the CYA up, it's been awhile. But the pool is definitely on its way to be clean, clear and swimable.
As the salt level dropped from 4400 to 4100 I will wait it out for a few more days and see if it drops further. If it doesn't I will drain some water and add fresh water to get to a manageable level.

Comments, suggestions, please feel free, help is always appreciated.
Thanks, NCSalt

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.