Intelliflo VS and 1.5 inch pipes?

bskaggs

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Feb 3, 2013
Seattle/WA
Is there any problem with using an Intelliflo VS pump with 1.5 inch plumbing?

A Pentair phone tech indicated that this would put too much strain on the pump and burn it out early. He suggested the Superflo VS. This seems strange since the Intelliflo is 3HP while the Superflo is 1.5 HP

The Intelliflo better integrates with my solar automation

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

They are kind of full of non-sense. You can run the Intelliflo on your plumbing, but will want to limit the maximum speed to avoid problems. It is likely overkill though. You are right that the Superflo VS will not likely work well with your automation.

A cheaper option would be to just get a smaller 2-speed pump (or even motor on you existing pump) which will integrate into any automation system (assuming you have a free relay).

Thanks, I have updated my signature, but it is an old 30,000 gallon ig pool that I have been updating as budget allows. The solar panels begin about 15' higher than the pump which sits at the pool deck level and about 8 feet from the pool. There is a run of about 25' of pipe before climbing to the solar level.

Foolishly, I installed a Intelliflo with SVRS thinking the safety feature would be good for an old pool not likely designed with modern safety features. Great for the electric bill, not for the new solar. Now it is a constant battle with the SVRS when trying to operate the new solar manually. I have yet to install the automation, but do not think the new automated solar valve can move without tripping the SVRS. Between the smaller pipe the pool is plumbed with, a likely underslab suction side leak and a main drain that is either completely clogged or was plumbed out of the system, the SVRS feature is just a PIA.

Perhaps I can set the pump max speed to prime the solar panels without adding much pressure (about 2050 RPMs) and that the SVRS will not trip in priming mode. A trip and restart will not ramp the pump up too much to over pressurize the panels anyway. Then pump can fall back to between 1700 and 1900 RPM to run solar and that may work. However, I suspect SVRS will be back to battle me again. It may be better to sale the SVRS and buy another pump.

The Pentair Intelliflo 3050 specifically interfaces with H2otsun's Swim PC, but it might not be necessary to incorporate that feature if there is a pump that is better suited to the task. While not thrilled with spending more for a pump that is overkill like the 3HP Intelliflo, it is a small one time expense that is relatively small compared to the total cost of the pool. It may also allow for more flexible future upgrades to the pool.

Of course, I would like to solve all the pool problems, but that will likely include new plumbing, a new surface...

(Loving my TFTestkit by the way)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.