CH : TG-100 vs retailer results

chuzie

May 14, 2014
Tampa
I am consistenly reading 450ppm CH with the TF-100 with 3 samples. Ran it to Leslies to get data logged for resurfacing warranty and they read 250ppm. I am new to the TF-100, but have been very religous about following directions and have read the expanded directions on the forum.

Could I be doing something wrong?
Should I discount the reading from Leslies?

Thoughts?

TF-100 / Leslies
FC 1 / 2
pH 7.6 / 7.6
TA 90 / 100
CH 450 / 250
CYA 40 / 60

They said my phosphates were high at 1500 but I already read about that scam oon here so I smiles and thanks him for the test. :cool:

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!!

We ALWAYS discount the readings from pool stores ... they have repeatedly proven to not be accurate or repeatable.

Are you using a SpeedStir? Were they using a stirrer?
Swirling is very important with the CH test and often with a stirrer, the reading is lower than if you try to do it by hand (not sure about a 200ppm difference though).

Time to break it out again....

attachment.php

If they show CH as lower than it is, great!!! When you come after them for scaling, they can't point the finger at you!

Thanks. I am using speed stir as was the guy at the retailer. I've learned so much using the tf-100 it was nice to know what they were doing today.
Richard, your picture did not post.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Looks like I'm gonna drain some water. Gotta test my tap first. I'm not even sure if my water softener even works. This could get interesting.
Why? In the last three or four years, my CH has never been lower than that. 450 is easy to handle. It only gets rough above 800.

Plug all your numbers into poolmath -including temperature -then look at CSI. Is it less than .6? Then don't worry. Now go play with the target values and see what raising CH 100 does to CSI. Not much, huh? play with pH and TA and temperature. It's not a big deal to keep it from scaling. You just don't have as wide a range on things as other people. I manage just fine around 800 CH. I run the pH at the low end and keep TA down to 60-70. No big deal.

I need to do more reading on CSI. I ignorantly assumed a high CH meant I was doomed to have scaling. That is obviously not the case. Thanks for the info. Looks like I can slightly tweak my pH and TA and get the CSI to. 04 and still keep pH and TA within my desired range.
Awesome info. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.