New pool owner - lots of questions

tparet

Jul 8, 2008
Hi everyone,

I just bought a house with a pool - Here's the scoop:

My TF test kit arrived yesterday, tested first thing this AM here are the stats:

Chlorine Drop test, 3 drops X 1.5 = 1.5 FC
CC test, was a slight pink color, added 1 drop to clear it all up, so that = .5 CC
TA, took 8 drops, so that makes TA = 80
the CH test came back at 250
the CYA test - I could see the black dot the whole time - almost none in the pool. didn't even make it blury.
From the blue test kit box:
The PH test came out to about 7.2
the Chlorine test came back at 1, which has me confused because I assume that is a total chlorine, which should be ~ 2 based on my CC and FC measurements, but maybe I'm comparing apples to oranges.

As for my pool - the water is now crystal clear, I have an automatic chlorinator with those tablets in it, i hear those often add CYA, but it doesn't seem to be effecting me too much. I have a sand filter, I don't know how to tell the size of it, but I have a question about that - i release air from it each time I turn the pump back on (I've been running my pump 24/7, but I turn it off to swap to backwash/rinse) but somehow it keeps getting air in the bubble on top, is this a bad thing, and what can be done?

I have no main drain, just a skimmer, and another intake line in the deep end, and 1 return in the shallow end.

I also have some staining in the bottom of the pool, the vacuum/brush won't get up, from what I've read on here it might be from copper in algaecide or something, any way to figure this out, or any good methods to get rid of stains? My liner is old, it will probably only last another year or two, has a few tears that I've had patched up, but has a new one, all above the water line for now - so I think it's ok. I think I included my info in my signature but, in case I did it wrong I have an 18'x36' In ground with a vinyl liner, and I don't know how to tell the size of my sand filter or pump, and I think my pressure guage is broken because it looks horrible and it sits at like 38 or 39.

I've been reading everyone's comments and advice for a few weeks now, and I'm glad I finally have some good info on my pool to hopefully get some of this good feedback I've been seeing - oh ya, from what was left in the garage it looks like they used mostly pool store chemicals, but I'm leaning towards this BBB method, I like the idea of being in control of my pool and not just dumping in unknown substances blindly.

Thanks in advance, and please let me know if there is any more info I can give in order to help you help me - this is my first pool (and it seems to be doing ok now) I just want to keep on top of it to get the most out of it for my family and friends.

Oh ya, one last question - airating the pool is something I read about briefly, what's this do for the pool (I know that my son and I certainly stir it up a bit) but I was thinking of putting on one of those eyeballs on the return, but didn't know the repercussions, I'm a little nervous because I Assume it will increase the pressure on my return line and I certainly don't want to cause a leak. Also, is there certain positioning that works best for these, they seem to move my water faster, which i assume is only helpful to the skimmer, but would love some feedback/info.

ok enough rambling, I appreciate answers to any and all of my questions - looking forward to becoming an active participant in this great forum.

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP!

I suggest bringing your CYA level up to between 30 and 50. When you do that you will also want to bring your FC levels up to 3 to 7.

The FAS-DPD chlorine test, power turns pink add drops till clear again, is much more precise than the OTO chlorine test, drops turn yellow compared to a color standard. At low FC & CC levels they will often agree, but if they disagree then trust the FAS-DPD test (except for one special case, if FAS-DPD says zero and OTO is above zero then trust OTO).

Thanks for the suggestion - now since I'm using this automated chlorinator thing, should I just crank it up to high for a little while? I've read that it will increase my CYA and FC, or is there some more accurate way to increase my CYA?

tparet said:
Thanks for the suggestion - now since I'm using this automated chlorinator thing, should I just crank it up to high for a little while? I've read that it will increase my CYA and FC, or is there some more accurate way to increase my CYA?

I wouldn't use the chlorinator at all right now. It would start to raise your CYA but the tablets also lower your pH. Right now your pH is 7.2 which is on the low side of OK. If you do use the chlorinator keep a close eye on your pH.

Where is Mass are you? Born and raised there myself.

Welcome! :wave:

Be sure while you are adjusting the CYA (and turning off the chlorinator) that you are adding enough bleach to keep you at 2ppm) Use the pool calculator to determine the amount to properly dose your pool. You'll probably have to add a bit each night to keep the algae at bay.

Ditto the other good advice above.

Enjoy!

So, is the chlorniator worth keeping, I looked around the forum - seems to be the general feeling is to not use them. Are they useful for going away for the weekend or anything like that, or are the adverse effects of adding CYA and reducing PH not worth it?

Also - It's been suggested to me to run my pump 24/7 - what are the pros/cons to doing this?

The chlorinator is worth keeping, even if you hardly ever use it. They are often handy when you are going on vacation. As long as you are aware of your PH and CYA levels and know what the pucks will do to them there aren't any problems with occasional usage.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
tparet said:
So, is the chlorniator worth keeping, I looked around the forum - seems to be the general feeling is to not use them. Are they useful for going away for the weekend or anything like that, or are the adverse effects of adding CYA and reducing PH not worth it?

Also - It's been suggested to me to run my pump 24/7 - what are the pros/cons to doing this?

Yes, Ditto Jason's advice, you never know when you might need it, just keep in mind the cons. As for the pump, is it a 2 speed (high / low) we run ours on low 24/7. Running that much is not really required. You have to figure out what works for you. Try 12 hours to start, if it's a 1 speed pump. You can break it up into two 6 hour sessions. Running 24/7 is recommended if you are experiencing algae blooms or circulation issues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.