question about swg cell

Jun 15, 2008
I am cleaning the cell of my chlor-ease swg and not having seen the cell prior to use I have a question. The outer layers front and back I would say were silver and the interior layer was black. Is that the normal colors of the cell or are the outer layers suppose to be black also ? They say a white cakey color is scale and that means they need to be clean. Is the silver looking color to me what they call white cakey color. Thank you for any help.

I am not familiar with your specific model, but they are all fairly similar. The plates should look like metal, silver colored. Often there are plastic parts as well, possibly the black. Calcium scale is white, like chalk, not at all metal looking.

That's normal.

Silverish look - uncoated titanium. Black - ruthenium coating. For non-reverse polarity model you would have a mix of coated and uncoated plates. For reverse polarity, normally all plates are coated.

However some manufacturers make the plates on each end one sided - which means outside will be silverish and inside will be black. There is nothing wrong with it since outer surface is never working, so it doesn't have to be coated.

Calcium, on the other hand, looks exactly like calcium on your kettle if you don't clean it for a while - white-yellowish. Here is an example of the cell which hasn't been cleaned for a while:

calcium_buildup.gif

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.