New SWG owner

Jun 25, 2013
This year I decided to upgrade to a bigger pump, 1050 gph with combined SWG. I have a relatively small pool, season pool 10 X 30" about 1185 gallons.

I don't have my full test results from last evening with me right now, but I do remember some key things that I have questions on.

My copper level was off the charts, about 1.3 or higher, suppose to be 0.1 ppm - 0.2 ppm. I was reading on another post (http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...-creeping-up-w-Intex-Krystal-Clear-SWG-CS8111) that I should just simply disconnect the copper bars from the SWG to help decrease this level. Apart of draining 20%, as recommended by my manual, will disconnecting these bars decrease this copper level enough?

My FC level was good, if I remember right it was 3 or a little higher, but my CYA level was low, at 0 or below. I added some stabilizer last night and running the pump 24 hours and will wait the suggested week before retesting this level. I was reading the pool school and couldn't find documentation on when or in what order chemicals should be added. For instance, if my FC needs to be raised and also my CYA levels need to be raised should one be done before the other? If so, in what order and should I be waiting a day or two before doing the other half?

The first couple days this season with the SWG I ran it only 3 hours per day and the FC level was low, almost none existent so I increased the run time to 6 hours, running it during the day when the sun is on it. Based on the gallon size of my pool and suggested run time of the manual, I think I may have ran it way too long. Is there a suggested run time on this site for SWG? If I run it again, say for 3-4 hours, this will turn over my water 2-3 times in that time frame, will that be sufficient for the filter to run only 3-4 hours in a 24 hour cycle?

Thanks again for the help!

You should both disconnect the connection to the copper bar and also replace some water.

You need to get your CYA level up to something reasonable before the unit will be able to maintain consistent FC levels. Once CYA is between 60 and 80 adjust the run time until the FC level is where you want it. The run time you need right now without CYA will be far higher than what you will need once you get CYA into range.

Ok, I will disconnect that and work on replacing some water.

So since I added the CYA last night and I am running the pump for 24 hours, do I need to wait the week to check CYA levels again? And Once that is in the 60-80 range then start adjusting the SWG run times to see its affect on FC levels?

Do you have a suggested run time amount for the week, while I wait to retest CYA levels?

On a side note...since I don't have a skimmer basket with this small of a pool, is there another suggested way of adding the stabilizer to the water and getting it to fully dissolve?

is there another suggested way of adding the stabilizer to the water and getting it to fully dissolve?
Tie the Cya in a sock, then tie the sock to a stick or something and hang that stick in front of a return so the return water is flowing over through the sock.

Maybe a dumb question, but when I unplug the copper bars it leaves the prongs open to the plug as well, do they need to be covered to prevent weather, especially water, from getting to them?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.