8.5" of rain in 36 hours, now what?

May 14, 2014
Houston, TX
I want to thank my pool leak guy for steering me to this site. Had high CYA 130, pool store said change water. After the leak was repaired 50% water already drained. Did a full drain, bleach wash, and refill. So I found this site bought bleach, chlorine and a TF-100 kit. Had zero CYA and CH. I was raising them and the pool was looking better than it has in many years.

Then 8.5 inches of rain in 36 hours. The pool is dirty from tree and landscaping dirt. Last night I cleaned, vacuumed and backwashed.

Monday am before rain temp 76

FC 3
CC 0
PH 7.8
TA 120
CH 275
CYA 27

Wed pm after rain temp 75

FC 3
CC 0
PH 7.5
TA 80
CH 250
CYA 38

Added bleach last night to FC 5.

So... why did CYA go up? I was shooting for 30-35.
I will retest in the AM.
The pool water is very dirty now.
Other than testing and non stop running & backwashing what can I do?

Normal margin of error for the CYA test is +/- 10ppm, plus it is a very subjective test and your results look like they came from some sort of electronic testing. You can't test CYA to that level of precision. Below 100ppm it will read in increments of 5ppm. To get accurate test results you should read the test in full sun with the sun at your back holding the viewing tube at waist level while you pour in the test solution. You read the test at the point where the black dot completely disappears. What are you using to test the water?

Your CYA didnt go up. Im wondering about your cya test result and how it got so precise? To the nearest 1ppm ?
In any case, CYA test can be tricky, depending on how the sun is shining or not. Easy easy easy to see a 10ppm or more change between tests - with the same water! -.

The amount of light and which direction its coming from effects the test. Below is how TFP recommends testing CYA

Perform the CYA outdoors. Turn your back to the sun, hold the tube at waist level, look straight down into the tube, and hold your tongue crooked....
you can repeat the test by pouring the water in the test tube back nto the squirt bottle again and then back into the test tube to confirm your first test. Repeat as necessary til you get the hang of it.

Good news things look much better. There is no hint of green just brown. Bad news more heavy rain coming.

This morning i checked FC-3 Ph-7.5 I had some crab shell clarifier an phos free left over from the pre TFP days. I cycled in a double dose of both, then I added 64 oz 10% chlorine on the way out the door, shooting for FC-6.

I now think CYA is false due to dirty water, it has gone from 27 to 41, 37 and now 32. I will wait until back to normal on CYA.

Tonights readings, brushed, vacuumed backwashed and added 3/4 cup of DE tot he sand filter.

FC 5
i forgot to do CC
Ph 7.5 One bonus my Ph creep and high "was 180" TA is better.
TA 80
CH 250
CYA 32

Will update later.

The wife really liked the new clear and sparkly pool water and thanks everyone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.