Soon to be setting up new ag pool, few questions

Amarada3

Bronze Supporter
May 27, 2014
Jackson, TN
Hi everyone!, just joined last night after lurking on your site for a week. I will be getting an intex ultraframe pool next week (18 x 52). I'm trying to do my homework. We will be working on the site this weekend, I have already priced foam, paver blocks for under the legs, etc. I will be using the sand filter pump that is coming with the pool package. I have been reading and re-reading Pool school and posts, but still have some questions.
1. I will buy the clorox, backing soda and borax, but should I get salt too?
2. I am on deep well water (almost like spring water), we are lucky that we live over an aquifer. How long after the pool is filled and the pump is started do I do my first testing? I read of some people starting off by putting salt in, should I?
3. I see the post in pool chemistry that discusses the tests and how the tests for chlorine are different in the recommended tests vs. the storebought kind. What is the difference between these tests? I guess the scientist in me wants to know what the extra $50 is for.
4. It looks like the recommended test kits have different numbers of tests for each chemistry. Why? Does that mean that I shouldn't be testing for all the chemicals at the same frequency?
5. My husband is already worried about the maintenance of the pool. I told him I would take care of it with TFP's help! If anyone could just bolster my confidence it would certainly help! :) I hope I'm gonna love my intex like so many other members here!

Thank you!

Welcome Lurker! Start by testing your fill water. Will your pool have a SWG with it? Don't buy anything but some bleach until you test your water. Differences in "store bought" and the chlorine tests we recommend include level of accuracy and how high a level of FC they will test to should you have any algae problems. This is critical if your pool needs to be SLAMmed! There is no practical need to test everything every time. Check FC and PH regularly (daily)........Ta weekly........and cya monthly(after you get the hang of it). It takes some time to learn your particular pool. We suggest you keep a log.

Here is my comments in blue

Hi everyone!, just joined last night after lurking on your site for a week. I will be getting an intex ultraframe pool next week (18 x 52). I'm trying to do my homework. We will be working on the site this weekend, I have already priced foam, paver blocks for under the legs, etc. I will be using the sand filter pump that is coming with the pool package. I have been reading and re-reading Pool school and posts, but still have some questions.
1. I will buy the clorox, backing soda and borax, but should I get salt too? not required unless you will hve a saltwater generator. HOwever, some folks add salt just because they like the feel of saltwater
2. I am on deep well water (almost like spring water), we are lucky that we live over an aquifer. How long after the pool is filled and the pump is started do I do my first testing? I read of some people starting off by putting salt in, should I? Like woody said, do your first test now to get a feel for your fill water chemistry and then test again immediately when pool is filled
3. I see the post in pool chemistry that discusses the tests and how the tests for chlorine are different in the recommended tests vs. the storebought kind. What is the difference between these tests? I guess the scientist in me wants to know what the extra $50 is for. The stores dont use drop based tests and so are notoriously wrong... especially when it comes to CYA. Any decent scientist will confirm this
4. It looks like the recommended test kits have different numbers of tests for each chemistry. Why? Does that mean that I shouldn't be testing for all the chemicals at the same frequency? Ph and FC change the more frequently. there are 2 chlorine tests in the kits. One of them only tests to 5ppm FC, the other tests as high as you need to, which is critical for SLAM or if the CYA is high.
5. My husband is already worried about the maintenance of the pool. I told him I would take care of it with TFP's help! If anyone could just bolster my confidence it would certainly help! :) I hope I'm gonna love my intex like so many other members here! You have all the help you need from eveyone here at TFP. And keep studying hte ABC's of pool school! :snorkle:

Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.