Aerating, my chlorine level has dropped

Re: How much Muriatic Acid can I safely add....

What do you do when your PH is currently at target 7.5 but my TA is high at 187? I have been adding apprx. 2qts of MA and have been aerating for apprx. 4 hrs. I have noticed since I have been aerating my chlorine level has dropped. Is this normal? Thanks!

Welcome to TFP, mommypell! :wave:

One of the mods might split you off into your own thread; however, each time you add MA, you do two things. Decrease your pH and take a little bite out of your TA. In order to raise your pH and repeat the MA dose, you will need to aerate. Four hours will make very little difference. Unless your fill water has crazy high TA, just let it take its course. Knock down to 7.2, let it increase and repeat. It may take all summer but as long as you keep on your pH it will come around. Don't feel like you have to force and/or rush it. It will find its happy place.

I have an SWG, so it aerates and makes my chlorine. I started out with pH that drifted up very quickly and had a higher TA. I just stayed on top of the pH and it came down on its own.

Welcome! :wave:

Chlorine will drop whether you aerate or not. It's a consumable item.

What does the water look like? Is it cloudy at all? High TA will not cause that. Dumping a load of Cal-hypo "shock" powder in can do that if TA is high, but since you're losing chlorine fast enough to alarm yourself, it's probably algae. Which is why I ask what it looks like. Secondly, how are you testing?

Incidently, unless you have extremely high Calcium in your fill water or you're having to add acid every day because the pH climbs so fast, there's no reason to mess with TA. It even says that in the how-to article. Don't mess with TA just to reach a target number. What is your CH reading?

A third possibility for massive chlorine consumption is low stabilizer levels.

Post some test results and how you got them and tell us what the water looks like, and then we should be able to solve the mystery.

Thanks for your response. Sorry just getting back to answer your questions!
I test via the BioGurad Strips, have the basci kit that I use and I take it to our local pool store once every couple of weeks. I have ordered the Taylor K-2006 kit! So we have had our pool for 4 years now and I have never had any trouble with my CYA. This year, that's all I seem to be fighting. I had my pool water tested today and here are the readings:

FC 3.9
TC 5.8
CC 1.9
I should say I am only using liquid chlorine due to the CYA issue. I did throw a 1lb bag of swim and shock in yesterday morning b/C I ran out of liquid.
PH 8.0
CH 300
TA 119
CYA 153

Since this reading I have plugged my #'s into the pool school and I have drained about 18" of water, added 75oz of MA and have been aerating for the last 2hrs. Will continue to aerate and add MA to help get my TA and CYA down. I'm just at a loss as to why my CYA level is so high. I have managed to get it down to 87, still using liquid chlorine and it creeps back up. Any ideas why? My chlorine level isn't droping enough to alarm me, just didn't realize this process would actually effect it like it did. Our pool is out in full sun all the time (when it's sunny) no shade at all. My water has and still looks beautiful! I can feel a difference when things are not in line. It feels a bit hard, but looks beautiful!

Thank you for your response!

My test results today were as follows:

FC 3.9
TC 5.8
CC 1.9
should add that I did add 1 swim n shock in the AM and then 1 gal of liquid chlorine late last night.
PH 8.0
CH 317
TA 119
CYA 153

My water looks beautiful and actually it always has! I can tell when my water isn't balanced when I feel it. We use BioGuard products and I love them, however this year just seems like I contiue to fight a high CYA level. I was using 3" tabs, but have been using liquid chlorine for the last 2 weeks only! Just not sure whay is casing the high CYA. I get a little nervous because the pool co. that put our pool in told me that I have to keep paper pool test (twice a month) to keep the liner warranty. They also told me that a high TA and CYA can ruin my liner, so it keeps my nerves on edge! Thanks for your help!

Thank you for your response!

My test results today were as follows:

FC 3.9
TC 5.8
CC 1.9
should add that I did add 1 swim n shock in the AM and then 1 gal of liquid chlorine late last night.
PH 8.0
CH 317
TA 119
CYA 153

My water looks beautiful and actually it always has! I can tell when my water isn't balanced when I feel it. We use BioGuard products and I love them, however this year just seems like I contiue to fight a high CYA level. I was using 3" tabs, but have been using liquid chlorine for the last 2 weeks only! Just not sure whay is casing the high CYA. I get a little nervous because the pool co. that put our pool in told me that I have to keep paper pool test (twice a month) to keep the liner warranty. They also told me that a high TA and CYA can ruin my liner, so it keeps my nerves on edge! Thanks for your help!
CYA doesn't evaporate. Once it's in the pool, it stays in the pool. So if you show 153 (I don't trust pool store results, but there are already thousands of threads on that) today, you will show 153 next week and the week after that until the kids splash out enough to make a difference.

CYA doesn't evaporate. Once it's in the pool, it stays in the pool. So if you show 153 (I don't trust pool store results, but there are already thousands of threads on that) today, you will show 153 next week and the week after that until the kids splash out enough to make a difference.

I saw a post not to long ago (one that I actually posted to and was told not to hijack someone elses posts) that I can lower CYA and TA by using MA and aerating. I used 1 gal of Ma and aerated for apprx. 7hrs with a our cover pump and we always have our slide running, replaced about 36" of water and per my basic test, it lowered it to about 120-125 range. My CH is still high at 300 so my water feels hard, but looks ok. I have to fill it with well water. What suggestions, if any do you have? Thanks again for your help!

You can lower the TA with muriatic acid, then raise the pH with aeration and then use more acid to lower the pH and TA ... this has no effect on the CYA.

The water drain and replacement is the only way to lower the CYA .... and doing this will change the pH and TA depending on your fill water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I saw a post not to long ago (one that I actually posted to and was told not to hijack someone elses posts) that I can lower CYA and TA by using MA and aerating. I used 1 gal of Ma and aerated for apprx. 7hrs with a our cover pump and we always have our slide running, replaced about 36" of water and per my basic test, it lowered it to about 120-125 range. My CH is still high at 300 so my water feels hard, but looks ok. I have to fill it with well water. What suggestions, if any do you have? Thanks again for your help!
My biggest suggestion is that you get a proper test kit. Your numbers look like pool store results. Once you have some reliable readings, then we can make rational chemistry suggestions based on facts.

attachment.php

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.