CYA question

OTown

Jun 5, 2013
Orlando, FL
Good evening, I started a thread about a week ago here.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/75475-Quick-question
This question is sort of a continuation of previous.

So the pool math is very helpful for most chemical questions but help me or tell me if I am wrong in asking this......Is there a way to tell the equation that I am adding this much chlorine per day and it will spit out how much more stabilizer/cyanuric acid I need to add to be normal???? For my 4,000 gl. pool I am having to add about 3 cups(24oz.) of 10% bleach to keep levels at around 4, 2 cups before bed and then I have to add another cup in mid afternoon around 4pm. I know that is too much, but I don't want to add to much stabilizer. I know I can just guess and add about another 4-6oz. of cyanuric acid but I was just curious if there was a way to plug it into the the poolmath somehow and get an exact amount I should add so chlorine levels stay up all day? I hope this makes sense. :) Any input would be helpful. Thx.

~Kelly

Reiterating what Jason stated, Job One is to get a current CYA measurement to see where you stand.

There are so many variables that go into determining the optimum CYA level for each pool that it doesn't lend itself to a straightforward plug-in formula that you can apply to any pool, anywhere. Location, time of year, climate, hours of sunlight on your pool, and variations from pool to pool are the main factors. Being in Orlando, you will likely have to run at a CYA level that is higher than most other pools in the country due to the intense sunlight prevalent at that latitude. It will take some experimenting on your part to determine the CYA sweet-spot for your pool.

There is a field at the bottom of PoolMath called "Effects of adding chemicals" where you can determine the impact of a specific dosage of stabilizer or any other pool chemical for that matter. Simply input the number of ounces of stabilizer you plan to add and then select "stabilizer" from the drop-down list. The impact of the selected dose will appear immediately below the inputs. Be sure to enter the Size (pool water volume) of your pool at the top of PoolMath before you start.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.