Just got my tf 100 have not checked water yet. But based on dip sticks I believe cya to be ~ 100. I have read pool school but am still a little confused on one thing. Can I leave cya at 100 and just get the appropriate cl level to match it. Or will I need to dump some water. The reason I ask is lady at pool store :( told me I need to keep cl at 3. Thanks - will

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Check your water with your kit. You can do a 50/50 dilution and multiply the result by two. Doing a partial drain and refill would be the best option. Always leave at least twelve inches of water in the shallow end. Report your test results before deciding what to do.

The lady at the pool store is just reading off her preprinted sheets. Who do you want to believe? The people who keep their pools sparkling clear, or the people who make their living selling you yellow-out, burnout, clarifier, flocculent, phosfree, "shock," and whatever else they think you'll buy?

You can maintain a pool at 100 CYA. Just follow the minimum FC levels and it will be okay. Note, however, that when FC is above 10, your pH reading will get iffy. Also note that 7 Fc is above the ability of any colormatching tester to read, so it will mean a FAS-DPD test every single time. And if you do develop algae, even a little haziness and the corresponding CC that indicates a SLAM is needed, you will need huge amounts of bleach to get up to the SLAM level.

As an aside, if you test CYA with the TF100 and it is higher than 90, stop. Don't dump the sample. Read Extended Test Kit Directions for CYA.

Test your CYA with the TF-100 kit. The dip sticks are not accurate enough or at all. If your CYA level turns out to be 100, still to be determined, your going to have to lower that by replacing some water. CYA levels that high can be difficult to keep the FC in the proper range.
Your FC is a function of your CYA level. They go hand in hand. Take a look at thisFC/CYA Chart. If you had a CYA level of 100 and an FC level of 3 you would without a doubt have algae.
How are you chlorinating your pool now ? ?

First real test of pool water.

Please keep all your posts under this thread. It is VERY CONFUSING when you have two threads going. I have merged your two threads.

Well my tf 100 came in today and now I have some good data.

FC 7
CC 0
CYA 100
CH 180
TA 180
PH 7.5 - 7.8

Hard to believe pool store told me that same water had CYA of 4 and sold me 14 lb of stabilizer to add. After 28 lbs 10 days before.

Can I swim in this or do I need to dump water and get CYA down so I can get CL down.???

Thanks in advance - will

The crazy thing is I have not added any chlorine in about 10 days? The pool store had told me not to add any until I was down to 3. I now know that is wrong.

I just checked my cya is 100 and FC 7.

Does it make since that I am that high with none being added in ~ 10 days?

Re: First real test of pool water.

Do the CYA test again starting with half pool and tap water and double the reading. It should be done outside with bright indirect light with tube at your waist.

You certainly need to replace water, just not sure how much yet. Currently your FC is actually too low to be safe with your high CYA level.

I just checked my cya is 100 and FC 7.
It makes sense if that's what the test is telling you. My assumption is you used the TF-100 for both tests, correct?

Some of your confusion is coming from trying to blend pool store advice with what we teach. Choose one or the other....trust your own testing or trust the pool store's testing but don't try to blend both.....you end up in the middle.

Yes both values were from tf100. It just seems odd that I read about everyone adding cl everyday, yet mine has only gone down a few ppm in over a week. I guess it is bc cya is high?
I am going to retest this afternoon. I plan to dump water to get cya normal and then follow yall method not pool store. Thanks will

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.