Yayyy! TF-100 Test Kit In - First Reading

SDH

Aug 10, 2013
Rosedale, LA
Couldn't wait to test, despite the fact that I know my CYA levels aren't ready yet and two days of strong thunderstorms that filled the pool to the top. Here's what I got, followed by some commentary. I welcome yours as well.

pH - 7.5
FC - 0.5
CC - 0
TC - 0.5
CH - 225
TA - 80
CYA - 0
Copper - 0.3

Yes, I know I need bleach ASAP and stabilizer. As you've probably noticed, I listed a copper reading. That's because this is an Intec Water Doctor I copper ionization "sanitizer" pool that I have taken over the care of. I'm in the process of re-chlorinating it. The fact that there is any FC at all is cause for me to rejoice, as I assume that means I probably don't have any harmful bacteria in there to bring it to zero. (OTA may have read 0; hard to tell, but there was definitely a pink tinge with the DPD)

I added 5 lbs. of stabilizer last Sunday (4 days ago), so that probably isn't registering yet. I know I'll need more (and have more on hand) but wanted to bring it up slowly. I've been adding 121 oz. of 8.25% bleach every day or every other day in the meantime and maintaining copper levels to stave off algae formation.

I should note that this is all despite having filtration problems. My skimmer valve is stripped, so I have no skimming - all the circulation has been via the main drain. There also appears to be a broken lateral as I am seeing what appears to be an accumulation of sand beneath the return jets. I'm pretty sure it isn't dead algae because it has a little weight to it when brushed and doesn't just turn to dust and float away. There is also an air leak somewhere because I'm getting a small, but steady stream of small bubbles shooting out of one of the returns. I'm going to re-plumb the entire suction side when my Jandy valves come in to replace the broken metal ball valves.

Oh! And the rash of thunderstorms we've had? Yeah, that fried the electrical so I have NO filtration at all until its fixed. I swear this pool is cursed. Electrician will be out tomorrow morning (assuming no more rains) and can hopefully get it up and running again.

VERY thankful for this forum of helpful mods and users and glad to be a part of the TFP nation!

On behalf of TFP thanks for the warm words! So, are you planning to remove the copper ionizer? It may be holding the nasties at bay but over time it will stain the plaster and cause light colored hair to turn green. The only way to get rid of the copper is to drain and refill. You can negate the effects of the copper with a sequestrant if you don't replace the water. The sequestrant is consumed by the chlorine and must be re-replenished on a regular basis as long as there is copper in the water.

On behalf of TFP thanks for the warm words! So, are you planning to remove the copper ionizer? It may be holding the nasties at bay but over time it will stain the plaster and cause light colored hair to turn green. The only way to get rid of the copper is to drain and refill. You can negate the effects of the copper with a sequestrant if you don't replace the water. The sequestrant is consumed by the chlorine and must be re-replenished on a regular basis as long as there is copper in the water.

Since it's not my pool, I'm going to leave the ionizer in place, I just won't turn it on. I've been keeping the levels toward the lower end of the spectrum. What's left in the water by the time I can get everything else in line will hopefully be negligible. I'm not at all worried about the staining. It's a 50 year old pool and already has stains and etching. As for the green hair, even at the highest levels of copper, we've never had that happen. Were a family of blondes and auburns.

Thanks for for the reply.

You are on the right track by getting that stabilizer in there. Without it, your FC is being burned off by the sun.
Hopefully your CC will stay at 0. If it goes above 0.5, then organics are consuming the chlorine.
your CH is just a tad on the low side for a plaster pool. Recommend to test your fill water and report back, we'll be able to tell you if you should increase your CH with chemical or leave it up to your fill water to increase it by topping off.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/134-recommended-levels

You are on the right track by getting that stabilizer in there. Without it, your FC is being burned off by the sun.
Hopefully your CC will stay at 0. If it goes above 0.5, then organics are consuming the chlorine.
your CH is just a tad on the low side for a plaster pool. Recommend to test your fill water and report back, we'll be able to tell you if you should increase your CH with chemical or leave it up to your fill water to increase it by topping off.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/134-recommended-levels

Thanks, Dave. I'll do that. Calcium is definitely low. When I took over the pool a few weeks ago it measured 20 ppm! No wonder the plaster had been etched, right? I've added about 50 lbs. of calcium chloride over the last few weeks which has gotten it to this point.

This old pool hasn't really been properly maintained; we're lucky to still have it around. Hopefully now that I can maintain it propertly, it will last until I'm ready to install my own (starting design soon!).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.