San Antonio Keith Zars vs. Gary Pools

I live in San Antonio and recently had a pool built by Brad Sharpe Pools. He has been building pools for 30 years. He does not advertise but builds beautiful pools. He and his sons are alot of fun to work with. You gets lots of attention from them. As far as Keith Zars vs Gary Pools, I have never heard anything bad about either one. Keith Zars is his son of Lief Zars who owns Gary Pools. If I recall correctly, Gary does not offer Pebbletec. I would have each company show me several of their pools and interview some of their clients. I doubt if you could go wrong with either builder.

Keith Zars has probably built more pools in San Antonio than any other company, but they use a standard kidney bean shaped form for nearly ALL their pools. We live near Bergheim TX and have a neighbor with a new Zars pool. The end product looks ok, and I have not heard of any trouble since the completion. (ALL pools construction companies seem to have bumps while building, the good one's will work things out until you are happy.)
Just my opinion, but the Zars pools all look basically the same except the colors chosen for finishes. To me they were un-inspiring, a bit too "Wal-Mart". We wanted more "wow" - especially when you consider how much pools cost.

We had a pool built this spring ('08) and went with River Oaks. Overall we LOVE the completed pool! It's totally custom 23k gal - only one like it on earth and it's got a big "wow" factor. We learned that San Antonio pool companies mostly use the same contractors for concrete, gunite, rock work, etc. Talented contractors cost more, not so talented ones are less. This rolls into the price of the pool - you get the idea. I encourage you to shop around, ask to see the completed pools and talk to the owners. Good companies will drive you around and show you several they did and introduce you to the owners. If you check out River Oaks, they have a designer there that is very talented named Chris - ask for him.

cezlaw said:
Thanks. I live in New Braunfels and your are right. Gary Pools does not offer pebble sheen. They offer a product called Diamond Brite that they say is same just less expensive with less color choice. How do you like your pebble sheen?
\\

Cezlaw,
We love the Pebble Sheen. The water color is brilliant and it changes depending on the amount of sun. I love the feel on the feet. I do a lot of water aerobics and jogging in the pool. I do not have to wear reef runners in the pool like I did with my previous plain gunite pool. The color of the water blends in perfectly with the landscape and our stone coping and deck. It definitely adds to the’ wow” factor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.