Help with my chemicals PLEASE!

May 17, 2014
TUCSON, AZ
Pool Size
Need some expert advice please we have a swg on a 10' x 31" deep round vinyl intex metal frame pool with an intex swg with built in filter. I run it 2hrs a day. we got the swg so we wouldnt have to hassle with chemicals and we just cant get it dialed in. we have a film on the bottom that looks like dirt, no matter how much I vacuum, it comes back. its not too bad, just lightly along the bottom and wrinkles in the bottom, but I assume its algae. Do I need to lower my PH before shocking? I did the pool math chart and it said to shock, can I use household bleach?
CH-275
TA-180
FC-2
CC-1
CYA-80
PH-8.2

From what I am reading from all your advice to other people, I need to shock my pool

:wave: Welcome to TFP, neighbor!!!

What test kit are you using?
You do need to follow the SLAM Process as your CC is high and you are seeing what is likely dead algae. This is usually done with the SWG off. The first step of that process is to lower the pH to the low 7s and then definitely use bleach for the SLAM process.

A SWG does not make the pool hands-off, you still need to test often and likely have to add muratic acid often to counter the rising pH due to your high TA and the aeration induced by the SWG itself.

also, since I have the swg system that is all in one, should I be running that system 24/7 or do I use just the pump with out the chlorinator on?

- - - Updated - - -

I really dont want to dump the water, not the cheapest thing here in the southwest.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
another question, if I do get my ph down to low 7's, regular household bleach is ok, it says to put only 12oz in my pool according to pool math. Should I leave the pool uncovered, or use my screen cover or solar cover for the process? Should I be airating while slamming? Sorry, this is confusing, but hopefully I will understand more when I get everything dialed in.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Jason, maybe I should start all over, can I drain this water on the lawn or will the salt kill it?

The water should be fine on the lawn ... you would not want to drain it often into the grass as the salt levels could build up. But monsoons should help dissipate it soon as well.

so in your opinion that is the best thing to do? I think this all started because I didnt use acid for cya. Now we have been trying to catch up to this pool. Oh and monsoons cannot come soon enough.....so hot and dry!

I have no idea what the manual says. Just use PoolMath to determine how much you need to reach the appropriate targets.

For example, you need just over 3/4 of a pound of stabilizer to get the CYA in range for a SWG pool.
And likely just about one 40 pound bag of solar salt (assuming that SWG requires a bit over 3000ppm).

leslies pools sold me instant pool conditioner will that work for cya, I still have over 1/2 a bottle left.

- - - Updated - - -

Leslies pools sold me instant pool conditioner will that work for cya, I still have over 1/2 a bottle left.

As others mentioned best option would be to just drain and fill it. I just emptied about 40% of mine to get my cya down in preparation for a swg. Just be careful and patient when adding the conditioner/stabalizer and give it time to dissolve cause you can always add more but can't take some out without draining

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.