water ok to swim in?

abfab

Gold Supporter
Nov 12, 2012
Ontario, Canada
We opened our pool two days ago. When I got it tested today they said all was good except to add some stabilizer. The water is perfectly clear but green. When I asked if it was ok to swim in it she said yes since my chlorine level was in the recommended range, but that I should increase the chlorine to kill the algae and turn it bluer. Is this right? I thought it wasn't safe to swim in green pools because of algae.
Total Chlorine is 1.2 ppm. I increased the swg from 10% to 17% (not sure if this is enough).
Other stats:
Saturation Index: -0.8
Total Chlorine: 1.3 ppm
Combine Chlorine: 0.1 ppm
pH: 7.3
Hardness 95 ppm
Alkalinity: 97 ppm
Cyanuric Acid: 10 ppm
Copper: 0 ppm
Salt: 3200 (my swg reads 3500)

50,000L saltwater pool with vinyl liner and sand filter

What test kit are you using?
Are you saying the water is clear but tinted green, or that the water is clear but there is green on the walls?

Your CYA is way too low for a SWG pool, but you should not raise it above 40-50ppm until after you follow the SLAM Process and pass the 3 criteria to stop.

As long as you can see the bottom and the FC is in range, the pool is safe to swim in, just may not be very appealing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but those look like pool store test results. If they are they will be no help to SLAM the pool. You need to be able to accurately test your water's parameters. We don't put a whole lot of faith in pool store testing.
Here are the Test Kits we recommend. The TF-100 is the best value and the one many members use. Get the XL option for the SLAM process as it has extra reagents for testing FC. ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.