Need to replace pump

weatherillgrp

LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2014
Cortez, CO
Last fall my Pentair 1 hp pump froze up. I called a local pool man and $190 later I had it rebuilt. It seem to run fine. Then this morning it froze up again. I have a call in to the pool man who repaired it in the fall and he will be over in about an hour. I think I will need to replace it with a new pump. I have looked on Amazon and see I can get a replacement for about $330. It is a PentairAir also and I think it will match up with my existing fittings. It now is all solid PVC joints and I am thinking about replacing it with couplers? Any advice? Also, my pool vac operates much too slow and I am thinking about going up to a 1 1/2 hp to create better suction and therefore speeding up the Hayward Cleaner. Thoughts?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, any advice on single phase or two phase pump

Last edited:
Is there anything wrong with the pump wet end? If not, then you only need a new motor. And I would recommend upgrading to a 2-speed version to save yourself some $ on electricity.

Can you be more specific with the model of the pump/motor?

If you decide to go with a larger HP motor then you would also need a larger impeller to actually move more water ... I am not sure that is the problem though.

Thanks for the feedback. Turns out I jumped the gun. The pump was okay. The problem was the startup capacitor. Pool guy replaced in in five minutes and it was up and pumping. Asked how much I owed him and he told me nothing, he would catch me next time. Small towns for ya. No service call fee and a neighborly gesture. I tried to pay him but he would not have anything to do with it. Offered him a 7up and spent the next 30 minutes just talking.

I have a suction side leak. I have tried the slow hose method and checked pump plugs, pump lid, ball valves and PVC joints leading up the pump. I watched to see if the bubbles in the strainer and saw no change. My next check might be the first joints below ground level. Prior to digging so anyone have any further suggestions about checking the above ground possibilities? I think it is getting worse. It starters last season late and I waited to this spring to address.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.