New Owner of 16' x 48 Pro Series Pool - Set me on the right path...

Waldog

May 27, 2014
Christmas, FL
Hello folks!

Been reading through pool school, and we used to own a small ez set years ago before we owned our own home. I always used the chlorine pucks (for two seasons) and never noticed any issues. I suspect it's because we splashed and re-filled enough that it never became an issue.

Going by my old knowledge before I came here I put in 3 pucks in a floater, and now I see based on my pool schooling there can be concern for CYA long term. I just setup the pool memorial day weekend, so it's probably ok for the moment.

Just a little more background, we started to fill the pool with our well and a generous neighbors well, and after about an hour decided it was going to take to long and the iron could be an issue. On memorial day I found a local guy who would come fill the pool for me, but he charged almost as much as we paid for the pool. But my rationale was that I'd probably spend more time and energy fixing well water issues. The water is from the local municipality. The water truck guy was nice enough to pump out the well water, and fill us with the good stuff. :p

I've also read that these stock pumps on are less than adequate, so I will probably be upgrading soon to a sand filter, and possibly salt later, but from the sound of things this stock pump won't make the grade very long.

Should I keep using the pucks for another week or so to get my CYA in a good range, then add bleach after that, and test? I haven't tested yes, and I will before the weeks is out.

I don't want to be in a situation where I'll have to dump and fill due to the fact that we are not on city water. I've read bad stories about iron issues, dead well pumps, and collapsed wells. We just had a new well put in last year, so I'd like it to last a while. :cool: I'm not worried about adding small amounts for regular use, just don't want to have to basically fill it.

In other words I need to set myself down the right path so I don't have to spend a ton of time and money on replacing the water later. :(

With the Sun you get in Orlando, a few pucks may not get enough CYA into the water in time to hold your FC and keep the pool from turning green. CYA is a number you want to sneak up on and not overshoot. I would recommend getting yourself halfway there and start using liquid Bleach/Chlorine from the get go. Test CYA in a week and adjust from there. Put the CYA granules in a tube sock, and hang it in front of your return line. Give it a squeeze whenever you are near the pool.

Read Pool School, and use Pool Math to determine the proper dosage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.