New SWG owner unclear of what to do when

May 28, 2014
Oklahoma
Okay I have a 22'x52" intex metal frame pool spend the last day an half filling the pool with hose and ALOT of rainfall once the water reached the intake add 260 lbs pool salt and started the filter going and added 2 boys to dissolve all salt then let pump run overnight went out to go ahead and get the SWG going the problem is the water is green color no green growing on the bottom just water color will be adding the appropriate amount of CYA this afternoon as my husband left it in his truck and is at work now I tested the water before turning on the SWG
Hardness 0
FC 0
PH 6.8
TA 40
CYA 0
Salt 2630 ppm

Question is after adding the CYA and having the SWG running should that alone help correct all my numbers or should I be going to the store for more chemicals is so how long should I run the SWG and if not what chemicals and in what order to use?

Welcome to the forum. You should "kick start" your FC by adding bleach. Your PH is low at 6.8. Bring to mid 7 range---do this first.. Your TA should be raised to around 70 with baking soda.

So first ph how long should i wait before testing again and adding the other chemicals? then add chlorine or baking soda first and again how long testing and between adding chemicals?

- - - Updated - - -

No not well water and yes clear besides the green color

Thank y'all for all the help now where can I find out how much of each to use for a pool about 10400 gallons?
Poolmath. The link is on top of every page. Instructions on how to use it are here in Pool School.

attachment.php

Something you should be aware of...

When you add the CYA, DO NOT add it all at once! I did and the level was WAY higher that it was supposed to be. Add half and wait a few days, then adjust from there. I had to drain half the pool and refill twice to get it back down to where it had to be...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Firefighter75 the guys above made a great suggestion about putting the "recommended" amount in a sock tie to the side of the pool then I just kept checking the CYA levels every day till it was wear it was suppose to be then I took the sock out and yeah there was still some in there good trick to know for ya next time or pass it along

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry I haven't been back on to let you know but it was Crystal clear the next day awesome job you guys thanks for all the help! Been almost a week now and haven't had to add anything else or mess with anymore besides cleaning sticks and bugs!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.