New Build - Cheap Electricity, Omnilogic, but should I go VS for Water Featrues?

dmann33

In The Industry
May 8, 2014
Georgia
New build 26k pool with water features:

2 led laminars
2 foot sheer decent
1 fountain on tanning ledge.

I'll be using an Omnilogic control panel. I'm currently spec'd for a 2 HP, 2 speed pump, but they just shotcreted the pool today and if I want to a VS pump the clock is ticking. I know I'm not going to recover the cost on my cheap electricity. However, I wonder if I will be happy with 2 speed pump in controlling my water features. I believe we'd use a Tri-Star for the 2-speed pump and the PB suggest the ecostar if we go VS.

Does anyone have an opinion on the control of water features?

Does 2 HP sound a little overkill?

Why would I want an Ecostar VS instead of something like a Tristar VS or Maxflo VS when using Omnilogic automation?

For water features you often need a larger pump to give adequate flow rates. A 2HP Tristar is a pretty big pump and nearly the same size as the Ecostar.

The Maxflo VS is a much smaller pump and may not have adequate flow, it also will not integrate into the automation (at least it does not in the Prologic). The Ecostar VS is more efficient than the Tristar VS and they cost about the same I think I have read.

In your case, I might consider the Ecostar VS just so that you can dial in the correct flow for when you are running some/all of the water features. What is the delta cost of the Ecostar over the 2-speed?

For water features you often need a larger pump to give adequate flow rates. A 2HP Tristar is a pretty big pump and nearly the same size as the Ecostar.

The Maxflo VS is a much smaller pump and may not have adequate flow, it also will not integrate into the automation (at least it does not in the Prologic). The Ecostar VS is more efficient than the Tristar VS and they cost about the same I think I have read.

In your case, I might consider the Ecostar VS just so that you can dial in the correct flow for when you are running some/all of the water features. What is the delta cost of the Ecostar over the 2-speed?

The delta cost from 2-speed to Ecostar is $650 (I don't think my PB upcharged when I upgraded from single speed to 2-speed). I was hoping to upgrade to a Tristar VS for a lower delta as they sell online for about $400 less than the Ecostar. However, I have just been informed by our Hayward rep, that the only VS pump compatible with the Omnilogic is the Ecostar. However, the Tristar 2-speed is also compatible.

Erg...going for a Tristar VS for around +$250 was much preferred than an Ecostar @ +$650. Now, I'm asking myself if I really want to spend $650 just for variable control??

Any 2-speed will be compatible with your automation (assuming you have 2 available relays). The trick is sizing it correctly to have the right amount of flow for your water features. That would be the advantage of the VS, but $650 might be a bit steep for that added flexibility.

It is quite disappointing that all the manufacturers are coming out with these smaller VS pumps which do not integrate into their own automation systems.

Any 2-speed will be compatible with your automation (assuming you have 2 available relays). The trick is sizing it correctly to have the right amount of flow for your water features. That would be the advantage of the VS, but $650 might be a bit steep for that added flexibility.

It is quite disappointing that all the manufacturers are coming out with these smaller VS pumps which do not integrate into their own automation systems.

I'm leaning towards the 2-speed. However, I have a question: Do the automation systems allow you to adjust valve actuator positions (i.e. by %) so that I'll have at least a little control if I wanted to lower the height of a laminar, for instance?

If so, can this valve position likely be stored as part of a scene?

Not exactly. The actuators can be moved to 2 positions only. There are cams in the actuators that you have to adjust to pick the stopping points. So you will not be able to have the automation make adjustments to the flow to the water features. You would have to do that manually by taking the actuator apart.

OR. Set the actuator stop points, but also have another manual shut-off valve to allow you to fine tune the flow as needed.

Some actuators are easier than others, but none are that easy. Plus not usually a good idea to keep engaging and disengaging the cams in the actuator.

I would again recommend adding shut off valves after the actuator that you use to adjust the flow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.