New pump for 12' AGP -- suggestions appreciated.

JulieLeo

LifeTime Supporter
May 13, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Our Krystal Klear pump died after one season. So now we are not in a position to replace it with a like pump. Leo said that it was too big a pump anyway. Our pool holds 2100 gal. so he said the Intex Easy Set 530 Gal Filter pump is good enough if we run it 24 hrs.

We also have cut a hole in the bottom of the pool to attach the hose to draw water from the bottom. The skimmer filter is no working anymore so we just attached the hose to the intake hose going to the filter pump.

Anyway, this filter he found looks like it wouldn't even begin to really keep the water clean. I say at $32.99 and free shipping you get what you pay for....but it's better than nothing.

I'd rather have a bigger pump, or fix the one we have...not sure what's the matter but Leo is not a mechanic so he doesn't know how to fix the problem on the broken pump.

Looking for alternative suggestions.

Don't let him cheap out on you. Your pool would need at least the 637R (1000gph), but you will have the same problem with that one.

Best bet is to go the expense of the 1500 gph pump and filter. It'll use the A or C cartridge.

The smaller tower style pumps are "draw through" type, where the pump pulls water through the cart. If the cart gets clogged, the pump gets hot and fails.

The 1500 gph and larger are "pressure through", where the pump pushes the water through the filter. This is industry standard for all but the small seasonal pools.

Look around on craigslist for a used pump like the 1500gph Charlie said. You prob don't want to run the pump 24hrs, the pump will prob be wore out after one season and that alot of electric to use. You can prob find a used pump for less than $50 if I were to guess, and if you rinse the "A or C" filters good enough you can reuse them over and over.

Thanks Guys.... I found a nice Krystal Klear pump like the one I had. Only $125. used one season. But I couldn't pick it up until this weekend and she sold it to someone else. Dang. Back to Craigslist. In the meantime, I found a 1000 gph pump just to have something to get the pool going for the season. Still on the hunt. Take care, Julie

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.