Adding borates to raise PH

Jul 6, 2013
Waxahachie, Tx.
My wife has been taking care of pool why I am at work. After 3 weeks away things looked pretty good. Crystal clear water.
Initial test on 5-21-14
FC 9..... this was high because of mis-communication on which way to turn output, she went up, no down
CC 0
TA 120
PH 7.6-7.8
CYA 50.........we had tons of rain while I was away.
Salt 3600
Output 40%

5-24-14
So based on the CYA level I have added 10 oz by weight of stabilizer. I know pool math says 23oz to go from 50 to 75 CYA. Just dont want to overshoot. I know going in to this that my PH will go down as I add the stabilizer..
So which of the three is best to use for raising the PH? Borax, soda ash or washing soda?
I also see that borax one will add borates to my water. and the other two won't
Which brands of washing soda or soda ash?

5-26
CYA 55
PH 7.4
TA 120
FC 8.5

5-28
FC 7.5
PH 7.2
TA 110
CYA 60

I usually can only find Arm & Hammer washing soda in my area, but any brand that's basically pure sodium carbonate. It's all the same. If you pick something with a higher price, you're paying for brand and packaging.

Buy it at a grocery store or something like a Target/WalMart, etc. DON'T buy it at the pool store. You're guaranteed to pay too much.

Using Poolmath and scrolling down to Effects of Adding Chemicals, it looks like 10 oz of stabilizer will raise CYA by 11 and lower pH by .2. Running a SWG and having a TA of 110, I expect pH will naturally rise over time and cancel that. I doubt you'll even see a difference in pH. So no adjustment needed.

Soda Ash and Washing Soda are the same. You can use the Effects of Adding chemicals to see what Borax or Washing Soda will do to pH and TA.

Thanks for the replies. Ill just monitor for now.
Good to knpw about the soda ash and washing soda.
Just had test done at PS to see difference.
Their results
Fc 5.5
Ph 7.8
Cya 40
Ta 100.....wow way different. I trust my results. The only test that iam still a little uncomfortable woth is the cya

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Today I tested again. It's been 6 days since i added 10 oz of stabilizer. Looks like the CYA has leveled off at 60.
FC 5.5
CC .5
PH up a little from last test now 7.4
TA 110
CH 200
CYA holding at 60
I need to add water to the pool ... about 2 inches. So I am guesing that I need to take care of that first before I raise the CYA any further? The water level is still covering the opening of the skimmer( not critical), plus I am going to be away for the weekend. So with the chemical levels where they are, I am thinking that I should tackle the water level when I get home Sunday.....any thoughts on my process?

Sounds like a plan. Add the water then test CYA again. My tests usually come out between 60 and 70, so I'm not adjusting my CYA. I am OK with it not being right on the nose at 70.

I do get concerned if the water level isn't high enough to fill the skimmer though. I won't even let it get to the point that the skimmer seems a little starved.

The water level rising and falling due to evaporation and refill won't have much effect on the CYA. It doesn't evaporate. When the water level is down, maybe you're at 62. When it is filled almost to the top of the skimmer, maybe 58. You might not be able to see the difference when you test. If you need water, add it!

Back from weekend trip. I sid add wtr before I left.
Fc 5
Cc .5
Ta 7.4
Ch 190 to 200
Cya 55 to 60....where exactly is the correct reading taken from. Dot just starts to go away but still barley visable. Or completely disappears. ?
Salt 3500
Should I raise the ch a tad bit?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CYA is when you can't see it anymore.

Most of us take multiple readings with the same sample, just pouring it back and forth until we're certain of the reading, or get the same one 3 times in a row, whatever.

Your CH is fine for a fiberglass pool. It will slowly creep up with evaporation and water additions.

Ok on the CYA......that's what I have been doing since my arms are a lot shorter than they used to be. I'll pour it back 3 or 4 times just to make sure I am seeing it right.
So on the CYA subject, based on my FC of 5, the chlorine/cya chart says I should be up are a 70 CYA. Should I raise it 10 more ppm?

Ok on the CYA......that's what I have been doing since my arms are a lot shorter than they used to be. I'll pour it back 3 or 4 times just to make sure I am seeing it right.
So on the CYA subject, based on my FC of 5, the chlorine/cya chart says I should be up are a 70 CYA. Should I raise it 10 more ppm?
If you're using the SWG, then 70 is a good target for your CYA. You should see 5 FC at the end of the day, which gives you a reserve in case a bunch of sweaty people go swimming.

ok thanks, it makes more sense now. Plus I also just got thru reading the article on cya/cholrine relationship.
So basically you don't want the fc to go below minimum and always shoot for target number by the end of the day ( when pump and swg shut off)
By the chart then with CYA at 60, my minimun is 3 and target 4 by the end of the day, if I have a fc target of 5 by the end of the day then i am good for any sweaty ones that might want to take a dip.
My pump shuts off at 8PM so a target of 5 is good insurance for those evening swims.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.