How accuate is Leslie' water test vs TF 100 kit?

Jul 27, 2012
Austin, TX
Hi all,

I did a water test with the TF kit last Thursday and took my water to a Leslie's store for another test on Saturday. These are the readings:

TF 100
FC: 4
CC: 0
CH: 350
TA: 90
pH: 7.5
CYA: 45

Leslie
FC: 2
CC: 0
CH: 200
TA: 60
pH: 7.4
CYA: 90

The three things that don't match are: TA, CH, CYA.

Which test should I trust? This is a new pebble pool. I am using chlorine tabs right now and will transition to SWG once 30 days have passed.

Thanks,

Scott

attachment.php

Pool store testing can't be relied upon. Period. Even if they are scrupulous in their methods and use the exact same kit, your pH and FC will change if the sample has been sloshing around in a hot car. They also do the CYA test under indoor lighting. Trust yourself. Check out this thread. Take a minute to study the historical results. They didn't format well, but you'll be able to figure it out.

To be fair to the pool store here- I wouldn't consider it a valid test comparison unless you test at home with your TF-100, and immediately head to the pool store with water in an opaque container. To wait two days allows for some variables to enter.
But that said- I love my TF-100 and always trust my own results best!

The water was collected fresh and taken to the store immediately. The store manager tested it right away. I am not concerned about the FC as it swings more frequently. However, those three readings are quite static. A Pebbletech technician tested my pool last Tuesday and told me that my TA was 70 and CH was 250...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Im not sure if yours does but all of the Leslies stores around here actually use drop count tests. Im guessing its the Taylor kit very much equivalent to the TF kit. They even have a magnetic stir plate.

While I believe my tests before theirs, their numbers are never far off from mine and in most cases are the same. Since they are in a rush you might get readings a bit off, but I try to count the drops as they put them in while Im watching. And my local Leslies is 1 mile from my house so the water samples arent much worse off than testing them in my backyard.

I honestly only go there for the salt test (they use a Myron L meter and a strip to double check), but since they do the whole she-bang for free and without any grief ("let me line up all of the chemicals you need to fix it"), I wait for the full test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.