Fresh Fill

Apr 9, 2014
San Diego
As title reads, just filled pool. Currently do not have circulation system and won't for a few days til parts arrive. I was advised by site moderator to keep FC at 2PPM and manually agitate water to mix in bleach for now. I only filled pool to right below the intake hole for now because I will be enlarging that hole once parts arrive so my hose will fit. Here's my question,yesterday I added 36 fl oz of 8.25% bleach, pool filled to 3600 gallons right now, I went on the high side because I don't want to add cya until I get the circulation system going and it's been full sun this week. I did the bleach at noon, jumped in pool, mixed all around for about 30inutes, and then tested and it was at 2.6PPM FC. By 6PM, no FC reading at all. Is it possible to lose the FC that rapidly? Like I said no CYA or any other chems in pool right now. Do I need to "maintain" a FC level of 2ppm consistently? Gonna be adding bleach all day long.. Lastly, I swam in pool last night and I had that blurry vision, normal bleachy feeling one gets after swimming and was wondering how that could be possible if FC was at zero?

Sorry I didn't keep this post more simple.

Without CYA you will lose all of your chlorine to sunlight each day.

Add 2 ppm of chlorine in the evening after the sun is off the pool, and brush the whole pool to mix it in. That way the chlorine will have all night to work before it is destroyed by sunlight the next morning.

With no CYA and the high sun angle present at this time of year, yes it is entirely possible to lose all of your FC within a day. And yes, you will need to maintain an FC level of 2 ppm. I would dose with bleach in the evening after the sun is off the pool. Until you get some CYA in there, you will probably have to add a supplemental dose during the day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.