So a utility pole fell on my pool...

May 7, 2013
New Iberia, LA
The pole has totaled the wall, and shifted the deck!

hmraa4z.jpg

Clearly I have a problem. But its not how to fix it.

No my problem is much, much worse. Its deciding how to spend the $12K (incl. deductible) the insurance has given us to replace it.

I have a used 24ft round pool - thats been sitting in a box for 2 years. Brand new wall, liner, some rusty parts but we had replaced anything that couldn't be reused. Then before we had it installed, we moved and the new house had an 18' pool with deck. The original plan was to install the new pool this year, possibly partially buried, as last year the 18' leaked like a sieve and was you know, smaller. We may have gone back with a smaller deck, hoping the pool lasted at least 10 years with a long term pie in the sky plan to hopefully be able to afford to replace it, if it failed with an inground.

Sadly before we could get around to that, we had a storm. The. Best. Storm. EVER.

However, the insurance is paying out for a brand new pool. And a brand new deck. Budget wise somewhere between 11-14K. (We had the install money saved already, plus we may get our deductible covered as the insurance company is suing the utility company).

So options are sort of like this.
Install the 24' we have in the box, no warranty of course. Installed partially buried. Reuse everything we can. Hire out carpenters to build a custom deck. Probably come in on low end of budget. But the cost of hiring the deck out is the most expensive part of the whole ordeal.

Buy a brand new almost all resin 24' or maybe 27' pool with a 60 year warranty. Install partially buried. Buy new steps because our current ones don't flow through well. Maybe buy a chlorinating system. Add lights. Build deck ourselves. (We are handy enough to do this, although we have lots of other projects in the works and really don't want to have to). Again probably come in on low end of budget. Probably have money to add other things.

Have an semi-inground pool installed - probably again 24' in this case a Rockwood 52 by Latham. The savings on pouring a small concrete splash deck over a traditional raised wooden deck almost even out. However, we would be maxing out our budget, and I already have my eye on adding even more money by adding fancy inground style steps and lights. Also if we manage to sell the 24ft in boxes, we would offset a little more of the cost. I'm not sure how much I could get for it, maybe $500-$1K.

And really I just don't know what to do for the best. It seems that if we spend 10-14K on a pool/deck now, and a fancy deck, there'll be no tearing it down in 10 years to get the in ground I would love but can't afford. It also seems foolish to go ahead and put a used pool in the ground when we are being given money to buy a new one. Now the insurance covered an 18' installed on ground and the only things I know I have to have are a bigger pool and at least a partial bury.

So I thought I'd gather opinions and thoughts from you knowledgeable folks to help figure out what is the best use of this wind-fall - pun completely intended.

A pic back in happier times...
zTNHsb1.jpg

Last edited:
Things may be different in your part of the state, but here about 110 miles NW of you, a basic inground 18x36 vinyl pool with 3 ft of concrete decking is running about $21,000 installed by at least one local pool store / builder, and I think they have some smaller size inground vinyl pools starting under $19,000 (14x32?). An inground would probably help your real world property value more than an above ground, even if real estate people say pools do not add value to houses, Just saying.......

Ike

p.s. prices there may be a bit higher, one Lafayette pool store is advertising an 16x32 in ground vinyl pool for $21,995 installed with 400 sq ft decking

Wow! I don’t know what to say about this. Craziness for sure. I think it is really whatever you yourself would like to do. If they are giving you the money to do with what you please, the decision is completely up to you. Install what you have and make it beautiful, adding a deck, groundwork for burying, etc; use it on something in your home; install an in-ground (although, i think you may find this being a very pricey option, and you’ll end up with the lower end of a pool and deck, don’t forget the ground work costs). Im not sure what to say. BUt.............things happen for a reason, and that utility pole found your pool no doubt LOL. Good luck with whatever direction you may go!

There is no "technically" correct answer, it is much more a question of what is important to you.

For me personally, if the pool you have in storage is still in good condition, I would install it and then think about expanding the deck as you described.

Well, we have to at least replace it with a pool and deck to realize the full amount. Otherwise we just get actual value. Our insurance pays that up front and the rest upon either completion or a valid contract to complete. (Or bill of materials to DIY). And of course we are free to upgrade what was there. While I'd love to go for a full inground option my husband is dead set against debt other than our mortgage. Which is one of the reasons I believe the chances of me ever getting him to agree to a full inground in around 10 years is a pipe dream. LOL.

So we are wanting to to this with the money we have. I just know my head is swimming with all the options. I think I'm going to go talk to the pool builder again today, tell him what I want and how much I have to spend and see what options he narrows in on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.