Above Ground Pool not level

May 27, 2014
New Jersey
Hi All, first post but have been reading on here for a little while.

I bought a house last year and along came an AGP with it. Opened it last year and it was really great.

This year when I opened it I noticed my water level was a bit higher on one side than the rest of the pool. So I did a bit of searching and found how dangerous it could be if it's above 1"-1.5".

I know I should really rent a laser level to find out for sure how far off I am, but I did a bit of measuring myself to at least get an idea before the weekend (when I can rent a level).

So I measured the distance between where the liner bead is, down to the water. The difference was about 1" from the high to low side. But if I measured the difference of where the water sits on the liner, it's about 3". Which would be more accurate? I figure the liner might not be so accurate since it can stretch, but the liner bead should be straight all the way around no?

Is there another way to go about checking before I get around to renting a level? The suspense is killing me!

Welcome to TFP !
I wouldn't totally trust the way your measuring. It must be out of level some if you can see it with your eye. You've got the right idea with the laser level. Check it with that, it won't lie ! If it's out more than an inch it needs to be re- leveled. Safety takes no holiday !
If you could add all your pool and equipment info to your sig that will help us help you in the future. ?

Thanks guys! I will add the info to my signature. But for quick reference it's a 24' AGP.

I guess the one thing I'm wondering is how people actually know that their pool is off level by X amount of inches. I've searched on this forum and see people saying their pool is out of level by 3 inches or 2 inches, how did they come to that conclusion? How did they measure it to find that number? I know a laser level would do this for you, but most of the threads I found have not used a laser level yet.

I guess what I meant was, what is something that is fixed on the top of the sidewall? Is the liner bead area or the flat part on top of the sheet metal the same all the way around the pool? Or would taking off the flat part and measuring from the top of the sheet metal down to the water be more accurate? I'm not really sure what's considered fixed and even all the way around a pool since everything seems to move a bit when pushed or pulled on (which makes me believe it can't be that perfect).

Was the pool level last year? If it is only a couple of inches I wouldn't worry about it. It is not going to be easy to fix. You will need to drain the pool , take it apart, and level the ground. I do not believe that a couple of inched across 24' is dangerous. It just doesn't look good.

Is the liner bead area or the flat part on top of the sheet metal the same all the way around the pool? Or would taking off the flat part and measuring from the top of the sheet metal down to the water be more accurate? .

You can pick any fixed point you like, whether it be the top of the liner or the top of the sheet metal. Whatever you choose, you must use throughout all of your measurements. Be consistent with how you measure as well since you mentioned that you can push/pull some areas. Don't disturb anything when you measure.

For example, let's pick the top of the liner. You can take a series of measurements from the top of the liner down to the water all around the pool. If it is level, all of the measurements would be the same. From the sounds of it, you will have a series of different measurements. You take the difference between the lowest measurement and the highest measurement and that is your "out of level by x inches".

Honestly, it sounds fine to me. With a steel walled pool, an inch or so in 24 feet is not much. My 21 round is low by an inch in the back corner of my yard. My pool is about 9 years old and was bought used.

thanks guys! this is exactly what I was looking for. I'm going to remeasure today and see what I get, but I think when I measured yesterday it was an inch off. So I'm hoping that should be good.

I think if measurements come back as being an inch off I may hold out and try releveling next year. I'll keep you posted and thanks again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think a pic would speak a 1,000 words. So lets see it! :goodjob:

I would agree..I have a 33ft round AGP, and it's off about 2 inches from one side to the other. It doesn't LOOK the greatest, when you are in the pool, but it has not been any problem since the pool was installed some 4-5 years ago

ok I did some more measuring. I took the top cover off on opposite ends of the pool and measured from the top of the wall down to the water and im off exactly 1 inch from the side that shows lowest to the side that shows highest.

Here are a few pics:

Low side:
low side.jpg

High side:
high side.jpg

How does a 4ft level sit on the pool rails? I have this same issue with my pool and I know that directly across from each side, from my garage to my neighbor's house is low and from the road to the back of my yard is high. It is something that only I can see because I'm such a perfectionist. I would say I'm under the 1" but above the 1/2".

How lumpy and bumpy is the floor of your pool? I'm wondering to see if that would cause the liner to be off, even if marginally on the wall? My pool bottom is lumpy and bumpy because I was in a rush to get the pool up among other things....

my liner floor has a few wrinkles towards that area but more in the middle. although right where it's on the high side, the corner has about a foot of area that dips down into the ground about 2-3 inches. it's right on the edge and right on that exact side that is off level by an inch. not sure if that makes a difference, but the water should level out regardless of the dip in the floor.

But if the liner is stretched in that area it will give the illusion that it's off. The water is level. Its the pool liner that's stretched n pool that's off if thats what it is.

yeah that's true, but that's only if you're measuring from a spot on the liner itself down to the water no? I measured from the top of the wall down to the water since the wall is fixed. Comparing the water line on the liner ends up with a difference of 3-4 inches between each side, and that could be caused by what you said (and it also doesn't look too appealing). But from the sidewall down to the water it's an inch difference.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.