pump ran 6hrs with no water

Feb 18, 2014
Houston, TX
I set my pump to waste since it was raining and i manually drained my pool a few inches. Long story short it ran for 6 hours with no water. I leave the skimmer open all the way and the main drain half open.

I checked this morning immediately after seeing the water right below the skimmer line. I turned it on briefly after closing the skimmer and opening the main drain. I saw no water coming out.

What am I in here for?

The pump does not lose its prime but it is having small issues. The pump has very little air inside (very tiny bubbles). Once every 10 seconds I see a large gush of water come in through the t slot/3 way connection, which results in bubbles but they instantly disappear.

The reason I say gush is because that is what it sounds like. Any advice?

When a pump runs dry it gets very hot. Many of the plastic parts deform when they get hot, resulting in leaks. You might be lucky and have an end result you can live with, but chances are the main pump body needs to be replaced.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.