Taking longer to clear pool than I think it should

Jul 25, 2011
Huntsville, AL
I'm currently fighting multiple issues right now. For one I have a leak. I'm losing about 1 to 1.5 inches a day. With that I'm losing CYA, chlorine, etc, etc.

My pool basically was a swamp with tad poles, frogs, the whole nine. After 2 days of shocking all of that was dead. The pool is cloudy and not green but certainly not blue. It is somewhere in between. It almost seems as if after the initial progress all progress stopped. In a week I've gone through approximately 35 128oz jugs and I have seen no improvement. I've tested repeatedly and adjusted to keep my chlorine at shocks levels. Help please.

Don't worry about the filter, just backwash when the pressure goes up.

A sand filter can take quite a while to clear the water, a week, two weeks, occasionally more, plus you still have CC level indicating that there is still stuff to break down.

One crucial step is to get all of the solid debris out of the water you possibly can, even if that means working blind.

You should see some improvement from day to day, even if small. If you aren't seeing any improvement, then something is going wrong.

Just a flash of inspiration here..... Is there a chance your multiport valve is leaking internally? It will a) not filter worth beans and b) dribble water out the backflush port whenever the pump is running.

If the waste line is hard-plumbed, you wouldn't even see that you're losing water there.

Don't worry about the filter, just backwash when the pressure goes up.

A sand filter can take quite a while to clear the water, a week, two weeks, occasionally more, plus you still have CC level indicating that there is still stuff to break down.

One crucial step is to get all of the solid debris out of the water you possibly can, even if that means working blind.

You should see some improvement from day to day, even if small. If you aren't seeing any improvement, then something is going wrong.

Went out of town last week so I couldn't SLAM while I was gone. I put in 2 chlorine tabs (I know but I needed something in when I was gone for 4 days). I can see the liner (not clear) but I can see it in the shallow end. It is slowly progressing. I deep cleaned the filter last week before I went out of town. Perhaps I just need more patience. This weekend makes week 3. :/

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.