Test kit question

Apr 23, 2014
Shreveport,La
My husband & I had a discussion as to wether reagents in my Taylor K2006 test kit should be shaken or not before using. So I called Taylor Industries this am and talked with a very nice gentleman in the tech department. He confirmed that the reagents should not be shaken as suspended air may alter the test validity.

He was asking about my pool & I shared about my Having a Swg but that if my free chlorine was to low that I would add a household bleach to boost my level and then increase my swg percentage to keep it there.

Well, he strongly encouraged me NOT to use household bleach because it has too much TDS In it which will require draining. I explained that I didn't use products that add to my CH or CYA but he did not seem to "get it." Had he been pool schooled?

When he mentions total dissolved solids he's not being specific to CH or CYA being in your bleach. It is in reference to everything else in your container of bleach, not including the chlorine itself.
I've heard this before myself, but if I'm not mistaken, chlorine has TDS as well. Now does bleach add/contain more? That I'm not certain of.

he had been pool schooled.

TDS doesn't really mean anything in terms of chemistry. The important part is WHAT (CYA and CH) dissolved solids are in your pool (bleach adds neither). You seem to have a good handle on it :rockon:

Well, he strongly encouraged me NOT to use household bleach because it has too much TDS In it which will require draining. I explained that I didn't use products that add to my CH or CYA but he did not seem to "get it." Had he been pool schooled?

In this quote, can you explain how TDS has any relation to CH or CYA? And in which context did CH and CYA get associated with TDS? Was that by him or you?

My understanding of TDS is that it includes EVERYTHING in your water, but not the water. Everything adds to it. The question I would have is does a gallon of bleach have more total disolved solids than a gallon of chlorine?

TDS is to fruit as CYA is to banana. TDS is a general term for ANYTHING that's dissolved in your water. CYA is a specific part of TDS because it's dissolved in your water. So is calcium (CH). So is salt (NaCl), which is what is most of the TDS in household bleach.

Asking someone if they want a piece of fruit will ALWAYS get you a return question: "What kind?" Some people love bananas but hate strawberries.

Some pools need calcium but don't need CYA. It's what kind of TDS that's important.

In my conversation with the tech at Taylor industries, he said I should not use household bleach because there is approx 8.5 percent bleach & 93-96 percent "other" listed on the label, which includes TDS. He said I "should use calhypo, lithium or only liquid chlorine from pool store."

I explained I didn't want to add any more calcium to my pool water or any more CYA which I was getting through pucks.

Hope that clarifies the context of our conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TDS is to fruit as CYA is to banana. TDS is a general term for ANYTHING that's dissolved in your water. CYA is a specific part of TDS because it's dissolved in your water. So is calcium (CH). So is salt (NaCl), which is what is most of the TDS in household bleach.

Asking someone if they want a piece of fruit will ALWAYS get you a return question: "What kind?" Some people love bananas but hate strawberries.

Some pools need calcium but don't need CYA. It's what kind of TDS that's important.

Exactly correct!

I like the fruit banana reference.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Both the TF-100 and the K-2006 do not have lids for the cylinders (although there is an old pic on the website that shows them on the TF-100.....that will be changed this week.)

The reason for that is so you Can't shake the cylinders. just swirl. It's tedious but it keeps the test accurate.

This statement right here explains the extent of his knowledge.
If you look at the ingredients on Liquid Chlorine and Bleach, the ingredients are exactly the same. Only the concentration is different.
And just as a FYI or reminder, Chlorine itself is actually a gas. It has to be introduced into something to be usable in any form outside of a gas cylinder.
"... liquid chlorine from pool store."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.