Want to eliminate my deep end?

Big Blue 72

In The Industry
Jul 11, 2008
I have a 16 x 32 inground pool with an 8 foot deep end. For reasons I dont want to get into , mainly young children,I want to fill in the deep end making it about 5 feet or even maybe keeping it all the standard 4 feet depth.
I know I will need a new liner but what else?
the bottom does have a spot where ground water has eroded the vermiculite bottom.
Could I just fill it in with crushed rock ,compact it then, then do a new vermiculite bottom ? I have the tools and skills having done concrete work for the past unteen years, so I am confident on doing this myself.
Am I on the right track here?
I'd appreciate any input .
This is a great site for pool owners. Enjoying being the new guy!

Big Blue,

Welcome to the forum. Don't see why not. Some type of semi-compactable fill rock (called "crush and run" here in the south) and then simply trowel the new vermiculite bottom on to it.

Because you know concrete, you know how important it is to get a good, inert base and you should have no problem. You'll also have a lot more "usable" pool area

The drain was removed for a reason. If by replacing it you mean tap back into the old line, I'd say no, the line was probably the reason it was abandoned in the first place! If you want to run a new drain line at the new level, that'd be fine - you just have to decide if all that digging (and the ever potential problem of a MD line breaking) is worth having the drain.

I'll tell you a compromise, install a 'low suction' port (a suction line ~ 2' below the water level) to help move the water in the lower part of the pool - it's still digging and running a new line, but it's not as bad as a MD and you can fully winterize the lines, which will minimize the chances of it breaking.

As I said, I've done this a number of times and will gladly help in any way I can. :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.