Liner / Coping Question

skinsfan44

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 12, 2007
Toms River, NJ
As our second spring in our new house arrived, we found a hole in the deep end of our liner (it was fun patching in mid may with the water at about 58 degrees!). Since then, 2 more holes have popped up and been patched. The wife and I decided to bite the bullet and order a new liner.

In a few years, we plan to redo the coping and concrete patio around the pool. Is it going to be possible to remove the old coping and not damage a relatively new liner? Should they be replaced at the same time? Our issue is that we really dont have to money to do both now, and want to get the liner done ASAP as it is going to cost a lot to keep patching/filling our pool.

skinsfan,

There's several different types of liner/coping combinations so I'm not sure which one you have. Generally, I'd say the answer is yes but if you post up a pic, "waste" is the liner guru and I'm sure he'll give you more precise info.

As Dave said, a picture is worth 1000 words - if you can post one I'll tell you what the coping change will most likely entail.

If you want the new liner now, and replacing the coping in a year or 2 won't be a problem - expect a couple of weeks of no pool use :( It sounds like either your original liner has either shrunk in Biblical proportions or wasn't measured right in the first place (or the pool was not installed 'square') - if you're dropping the $ for a new liner, measure the pool and have a custom cut liner made for you - one that will 'fit like a glove' and last for 20+ years if you keep the chems right! Will you be contracting the install or doing it yourselves? If you're DYIing it remember that you will probably have to repair the floor in a few (or more :x ) places! Also, new faceplates and gaskets should be installed with a new liner! :hammer: What, if any, kind of stairs do you have?

Sorry :oops: to answer a question with questions, but I can help you with every part of this, if I know what we're dealing with here :-D

Thanks guys, I will get a picture up this weekend. A bit more background... the liner is the original liner, 21 years old. It just seems to be going at once. I guess it is at the end of its life cycle, so I guess we should have expected this. The coping is just the plane white hard plastic band. Picture to follow in a day or two so waste can give one of his always inforrmative answers :) Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.