New Solar System

May 18, 2014
Commack, NY
Hello,

I am planning on a installing a new solar system on the roof of my house. The roof is a South facing roof with a good amount of hours of sun time in Long Island, NY. I want to make sure I am not missing anything, so I am looking at this site
http://shop.solardirect.com/index.php?cPath=69_373_383_384_387_393 and want to figure out what I need to get started.

I need about (3) 4x12 Panels and Installation kit. Do these systems come with an installation kit and do I need anything extra from that list?

I would appreciate the help.

I think you were probably looking at the wrong page at solar direct, that was their parts page, they also have a kits page with basic through deluxe kits which include all the speciality hardware, you still need to supply the PVC pipes and fittings.

Ike

p.s. in addition to that list Jason gave a solar controller can really optimize the amount of heat you gain from solar panels, the amount depends on your local climate though.

I was looking at the wrong one. However, those people are charging $140 just for regular shipping. Total would be $1150 for (3) 4x12s and installation kit.

Is there another place I can get decent quality panels & installation kit? (I'm not dead set on Vortex).

The Vortex panels are private label versions of the TechnoSolis panels just with fewer size options and perhaps cheaper mounting equipment, I bought my TechnoSolis panels with 2 inch headers from poolheatpumps.com for a bit less than the Vortex panels with 1.5 inch headers were selling for at the time. As to shipping these panels are thicker than most on the market and do not roll up for easy shipment, in fact they barely bend enough to fold into a U shape on a standard shipping pallet, here is a photo of how my 11 4x12 panels arrived truck freight (I had them shipped to where I work as we have a loading dock to avoid lift gate charge):

Ike

attachment.php

Wow. Thanks for the info. Those came with all you need to mount them & roof plumbing?

As a side-note, my whole pool system is 1.5 inch from pump to filter, filter to pool. Would it make sense to get 2 inch headers and convert from 1.5 to 2 inch as it goes up on the roof?

It would be better to use the 2" plumbing where you can, even if the headers are only 1.5".

I paid 600 for 11 used 4x12 panels with controller off Craigslist. I did end up having to buy mounting kits and parts that were missing. But still significantly less than the price you quoted. Just another possible option if you are diy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.