Pipe size

Jun 17, 2011
Central Iowa
Hello everyone. We recently had to cut our pvc pipe (pipe from the skimmer and pipe to the return) to allow a deck build around our pool. We've used some "backwash" blue hose interim but it's time to get it back to pvc.
My question is about pipe size. We currently have 1.5". With our pump size and filter size would there be any value in increasing some of the piping to 2"? If so what parts or sections would be most important? From skimmer basket to pump? OR are we ok with the 1.5" we currently have?

Since our pump is so large I end up running just about everything on low. I have even started backwashing on low... To run our suction Kontiki floor cleaner however I have to have the pump on high and do worry about low water level in the pump basket at times. Would a larger pipe size help with that?

Sorry, I know nothing about pluming and trying to understand the "head loss" "flow rate" pump size lingo but honestly it's a bit overwhelming.... :) I am the main pool cleaner/chem gal. My hubby will do the heavy lifting and pipe work but he does not come on this site so I need to ask the right questions and try to explain it to him so it makes sense.

Thanks everyone!!!

You are OK with the existing 1.5". However, it is generally worth switching to 2" any time you need to replace the pipe anyway. I wouldn't bother replacing parts that are currently working. 2" pipe is generally better, and doesn't cost much more, so worth using when you have to replace parts.

Thanks JasonLion. It is ok if we only replace the pipe that was cut with 2". Some of the elbows after the cut into the pump and plumbing from the pump to filter would still be 1.5". Will having to graduate down to the 1.5" at the turn negate any advantage with the new long 2" runs we put in?

Put ball valves near the skimmer and return jets to make future plumbing changes easier. The ball valves that have unions on them at Lowe's are better than the ball valves w/o a union. Put unions on the pump inlet and outlet, and also at the multiport. This will allow easy maintenance and let you take the pump inside for the winter. If money is tight, skip using unions on pump and multiport, but leave room to add them later. I generally prefer slip connections, but having threaded ball valves ensure you can reuse the valve if you screw up elsewhere on the plumbing.

Thanks DanielP! We have valves right off the skimmer inlet and before the return eye but I don't think they have unions on them and don't have them near pump. That is a good idea. This past year we lowered the water and closed the valves to keep any raising water in the pool then opened up a few drain holes we had on the pvc pipes to drain them and left the pump outside all winter. I would have liked to take it in but hubby did the plumbing without any input from me and he didn't allow for any of that......

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.