Help!! Green, crunchy hair

Jun 8, 2011
Charleston, IL
HI,
I'm not sure this is the correct place to post....here goes.....We have an inground, vinyl liner, salt water pool. This is the 3rd season for it. My daughter who is a red-head continues to have her hair turn green and crunchy. We also have a wheaten terrier who turns a not so lovely shade of green for the summer. I thought we had things worked out but here we are, the first weekend open and my daughter's hair already has a green tinge and is crunchy. Any suggestions? PLEASE!!!!

No algaecide....the only thing we have done is add a "pool rx" and ProTeam Calcium Up Balancer. My control unit shows salt level at 3500PPM, but my check system light is on and lays ORP Low - check chlor. My ph is 7.9 and ORP is 75 mV. We have a Hayward AquaPlus Goldline system plus the Sense and Dispense. I have the sensors cleaned on the sense & dispense..... This is my first pool and I know nothing about the water chemistry.

- - - Updated - - -

City water. If it is copper, what can I do? Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

The only thing added this year was a "pool Rx" and the ProTeam Calcium Up Balancer. Thanks.

Hate to break it to you, but PoolRX is copper sulfate.

http://www.kellysolutions.com/VA/showAI.asp?Basic_EPA_ID=79817-3&Product_Name=POOL+RX&EPA_Id=79817-3

- - - Updated - - -

The permanent solution is to replace the water and stop adding copper to it.

The immediate solution is a metal sequestrant: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/137-metals-in-the-water-and-metal-stains
For the hair, here's one thread: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/1543-Fixing-Green-Hair

If you use the search box up above for "green hair" or PoolRX you'll find lots and lots more.

Last edited:
PoolRX not only has a hideous video to open their website but contains copper. Known to cause staining. They claim that it won't cause staining because they also have sequestrating/chelating agents in the product as well. If you add the copper, then you sequester it, what is it actually doing? NOTHING. Until the sequestering agent perhaps breaks down and leaves you with copper. Then it stains your hair. Also contains zinc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes he was serious about water replacement it is the only way to get rid of the copper that was added. Sequesterants can control it, but must be replenished as they get used up. (sequesterant = treatment plan, water replacement = cure). For sequesterants the Jacks Magic brand is usually suggested around here. Probably Jacks Purple Stuff in this case since you have a vinyl pool you don't need the plaster control on the Jacks Magenta Stuff

Thank you.....I had my water tested today and evidently the chlorine was off the charts. I have added Pool Pride chlorine remover and will add SeaKlear Metal Klear later this evening.
Still open to anyone's experience with this!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,
I tried your link and it will not open up.
Dana

Dana...here is the best advice you will ever receive on this forum...READ and LISTEN to what these guys are telling you. You don't need all that crazy **** in your pool....just a few simple things like muratic acid and liquid bleach and your pool will be unbelievably awesome!!!

There is no reason to have to lower the chlorine level. What the pool stores says is too high , may in fact not be high enough, depending on your CYA level. Pool store employees generally just do not understand the CYA/FC relationship. See the FC/CYA Chart for the required FC levels.

Also read this: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/137-metals-in-the-water-and-metal-stains
That SeaKlear Metal Klear is not likely one of the recommended sequestrants ... they do not list their ingredients which is always a bad sign.

I'm so sorry about your daughter's hair and that poor dog... Can you past a pic of the dog? I just want to see a green terrier! :mrgreen:

As other's have said, you don't need the pool store or their magic bullets. As you can see, it's just causing problems and a good fix is draining and refilling or you can drain your wallet with the sequesterants. I hear those are pretty expensive and they need maintained weekly which = $$$. All you need is a good test kit (TF100), bleach and a refill. If you decide to do the refill, you must leave 1ft of water in the shallow end as to not unseat the liner.

Casey,
We are thinking we may go this route. However, in order for us to leave 1 ft of water in our shallow end, we probably would end up leaving half of the pool filled since we have a diving pool. Would leaving this amount of water in the pool this defeat the purpose of replacing the water to resolve the water issue?
Thanks.

OK, trying to keep my sense of humor here......unfortunately, I do not have a picture of my dog Finney in his lovely shade of green, nor will I post a picture of my daughter with her green tinted, crunchy hair as that would NOT go over well.....I did, however, update my avatar....this is Finney, you can see how happy he was to wear a life jacket and swim boots LOL (to avoid scratching everyone; he's a little hyper).......

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.