Peladow Ice Melt Pellets for Calcium Hardness increaser?

May 23, 2013
New Jersey
Hi, After reading some ways to lower my chemical bills on this forum and needing to increase my calcium hardness I was able to find a 50# bag of Peladow Calcium Chloride Pellets for $17. They are small pellets maybe the size of BB's and I think would dissolve fairly well. My question though is I noticed on the bag it lists 4 ingredients.

Calcium Chloride 90-97%
Water 2-6%
Sodium Chloride No % listed
Strontium Chloride No % Listed
Potassium Chloride No % Listed

Is this safe to use as a Calcium Hardness increaser?

Thanks...I wonder why the bag lists containing the last three ingredients yet doesn't list any percentage of the each?

Because there are no quantities of that element in the product mix. It is easier for the manufacturer to leave the lable with 0% or not listed rather than create a new print run. Same lables are used across their product line and they may have commercial items that include Strontium and/or Potassium. Nice find this time of year for a good price. Saved yourself quite a few $$.

Am only able to find the Ice Melt in my area with the Roadrunner printed on bag (40 lbs). Ingredients are Sodium Chloride and Magnesium Chloride but no indication of their concentration. Will it work or pass and get at pool store?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am only able to find the Ice Melt in my area with the Roadrunner printed on bag (40 lbs). Ingredients are Sodium Chloride and Magnesium Chloride but no indication of their concentration. Will it work or pass and get at pool store?

That will most certainly not work...there's probably very little calcium in that product. Most ice melt products are inexpensive and contain little calcium chlorine and often lots of salt and magnesium chloride...and lots of grit and dirt.

You want a product that is mostly pure calcium chloride, nothing else.

Appreciate the clarification. This is exactly why I did not purchase. Seems most retailers selling same ice melt "blends." May ultimately need to order the pure version online.

Calcium chloride is relatively expensive compared to sodium or magnesium chloride. Also, there is a slight hazard with calcium chloride that it has a very large and exothermic heat of hydration. When you dissolve calcium chloride in a bucket water, the water can heat up significantly. So transportation, handling and storage of calcium chloride requires more cost as well. Outside of the snow belt climates, pure calcium chloride is hard to find in retail stores.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.