New Hayward Heater Automate or not?

chclark

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 14, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
So after going back and forth between solar and NG. We decided to go with a Hayward NG heater. My question now comes to controls, automate the system or not? As of right now my pump is run manually. I'm more of a simplest at heart, so I was thinking of a intermatic timer. Also in the back of my mind, Im curious as to what automation is out there? Any recommendations on either automate or just run a timer? Also I am a DYI guy so Id be doing this all myself. Thanks everyone:p

For a standard pool with no spa or other water features a standard Intermatic timer is fine. If you have some landscaping lights, or water features, then there is some value to looking into automation systems.

A lot depends on how you are going to use the heater. I only run mine once in a while, my neighbor keeps his pool set to 90Deg all season. His is set up so if the water temp drops below that his pump turns on and then the heater fires up. Kind of like heating your house in the winter. Keep it at one temp.

Mine is turned on manually when I feel it needs it. Kind of like heating an out building during the winter. Only heat it when you need it.

For a standard pool with no spa or other water features a standard Intermatic timer is fine. If you have some landscaping lights, or water features, then there is some value to looking into automation systems.

A lot depends on how you are going to use the heater. I only run mine once in a while, my neighbor keeps his pool set to 90Deg all season. His is set up so if the water temp drops below that his pump turns on and then the heater fires up. Kind of like heating your house in the winter. Keep it at one temp.

Mine is turned on manually when I feel it needs it. Kind of like heating an out building during the winter. Only heat it when you need it.

Thanks guys. I think I am going with the timer. I plan on running it as mentioned, just every once in awhile. As the kids don't really care, they were in it this weekend @68 degrees. Ill just use the heater when the wife wants to go in ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.