Over-chlorinated. Should I worry/do something about it?

May 12, 2008
Sacramento, CA
I started SLAMing my pool tonight and followed the instructions to look up what FC (16) to get my pool to for shock level, given my CYA level (35). The pool had basically no chlorine in it after a weekend of swimming, so PoolMath said I needed 4 gallons. Except I didn't realize it was set for 6% bottles when the ones I had were 10.5%, so I put in about double what I need and have the pool at 40ppm right now. Should I be worried or do anything about it? I'm not guessing there's much to do.

Just curious, where do you live, and do you have a test kits that will give you a high level reading? It's important to know what level of FC you really have.

If it's very sunny where you are, it will come down quicker, or you could add a small amount of Chlorine scavenger. If it were me, I would test for high FC, circulate 24/7 and wait it out for a day or two and see what it did before adding scavenger. Unless I was desperate to go swimming, that's what I would do.

I should take the sweeper bot out? I can do that. It sprays when the filter is running, so I'll just redirect it back into the pool. The splashing ought to lower the FC a bit too.

I'm in Northern California where it got up to 100F this weekend. I'm using a TF100 test kit and the FC dropped from 40ppm to 33ppm overnight (plus an hour or so of daylight because I forgot to get up and test before dawn). I'm not worried about people swimming yet. If it's down below shock level by the weekend, that should be fine.

I have to say I kinda laughed when I read your initial post, not at you, but at me. I finally got around to opening my pool this last weekend. Almost two months later than I usually open it. Needless to say, it was greener than green. No panic though, I already knew this process worked, so I did an initial CYA test on Friday and confirmed it was 0, or near 0. Checked the calculator and it said 1 gallon-ish of 10% chlorine would put me around 15ppm, so I just dumped in a gallon, a couple hours later I dumped in a gallon, and a couple hours later I dumped in a gallon, and so forth. The next morning I finally did a FC check. 50PPM! Ooops. 9 hours later, it was at 2ppm (Sun plus no CYA). Sunday my brush head fell off the stick while I was brushing the pool, couldn't see it. Got in the pool Monday and walked around for 15 minutes, still couldn't find it. Came home on Tuesday and I could see the bottom, but couldn't see the brush. Yesterday I found the brush and got it out! Today I came home and vacuumed the floor, had to backwash the filter 5 times while doing this. My pump has been on High for 168 hours, I've backwashed the filter 9 times this week, and I've been through 24 gallons of chlorine.

Basically, I'm getting lazier the older I get. It's completely my fault the pool was green to begin with. My new peristaltic pump showed up today also, so that got installed without haste! Now something mechanical can add the chlorine instead of me. Just gotta get it dialed in right.

So... Ya, I was laughing because I hit 50ppm! I also knew I should've been taking readings before adding the chlorine, so again it's just my laziness. It might also be the fact that we're waiting for our pool to collapse to put in an inground pool. It's really really old.

BUT

The pool will be ready this weekend! It's clear now, but not sparkly. It must be sparkly! It'll be sparkly by Saturday morning. I finally flipped the pump to low today, it seems to polish the water when it's running slow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.