Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Purex Triton Sea Horse - Any advice

1. Back To Top    #1

Purex Triton Sea Horse - Any advice

I have to help my friend fight an algae problem and before we get started, I'd like to show him how to clean the filter. Here is a picture of it.

http://muller.net/sonny/tmp/pool/Pool_Filter-1.jpg

Is this a cartridge, sand, or DE? Anybody know where to look up a manual for it? I looked on Pentair, Googled, but couldn't find anything. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
    30K gal. IG Free form
    Cartridge Filter, Solar and Gas Heater
    Using BBB

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Purex Triton Sea Horse - Any advice

Found this....not sure if this helps?

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:NR ... cd=6&gl=us
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

There is an exploded view here
    http://poolpartsonline.com/p-145-pac...ter-parts.aspx

Looks like its a cartridge filter

Randy
    20,000 gal fiberglass pool, Raypak 266k BTU Lo Nox gas heater, Purex 2048 48 sq ft DE filter, 1.5hp pump. iWave wireless remote, Pulsafeeder chlorine pump, Safety cover on most of the time

seperate spa, with own pump, cartridge filter, Teledyne heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks frustratedpoolmom and randytsuch. It looks like a cartridge system and uses 4 cartridges.

I forgot to say that this pool was neglected for awhile by the previous owner and there is mosquito fish that was added by the city we also have to clean out.
    30K gal. IG Free form
    Using BBB

5. Back To Top    #5

150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by randytsuch
    There is an exploded view here
    http://poolpartsonline.com/p-145-pac...ter-parts.aspx

Looks like its a cartridge filter

Randy
    GMTA!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by CRG_80cc
    Thanks frustratedpoolmom and randytsuch. It looks like a cartridge system and uses 4 cartridges.

I forgot to say that this pool was neglected for awhile by the previous owner and there is mosquito fish that was added by the city we also have to clean out.
    EWE. There was a thread on here about the Mosquito fish.... I think the city might be willing to take back the live fish?

8. Back To Top    #8

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom

EWE. There was a thread on here about the Mosquito fish.... I think the city might be willing to take back the live fish?
    Nope, not worth the time and money. You just have to deal with it. Thanks for all the links!
    30K gal. IG Free form
    Using BBB

10. Back To Top    #10

Here's an article today in the San Francisco Chronicle about the mosquito fish

SD County needs more fish to fight West Nile virus

07-11) 10:44 PDT San Diego, CA (AP) --

Fish that munch on the larvae of mosquitoes that can carry the West Nile virus are in short supply in San Diego County.

The mosquito fish, a type of small freshwater fish, have been late to breed this year, said John Riggs, the county's supplier in Barstow.

Earlier this year, the county ordered 425 pounds of the fish for $15,000 to release in standing water, where female mosquitoes lay their eggs.

Riggs expects to fill the county's order by early August.

A total of 72 birds in the county have been infected with the West Nile virus, compared to six at this time last year, said county vector control program manager Kerry McNeill.

Mosquitoes can spread the disease to birds, horses and people.

McNeill said residents concerned about standing pools of water that attract mosquitoes should call vector control.

Members of the county's 21-person environmental health team will then visit the site and decide how many fish will be used.

The fish are especially in demand for ponds and abandoned swimming pools on foreclosed properties.

In previous years, county officials obtained enough mosquito fish to supply nurseries, pet stores and aquariums, which then distributed the fish to residents, McNeill said.
    30K gal. IG Free form
    Using BBB

11. Back To Top    #11

I have this same exact filter and was told (by a pool company), "...you have a D.E. Filter which filters down to a smaller micron than cartridge." Judging from the responses, I feel like I actually have a cartridge filter and from comparing pictures online of the 2 filter types they look fairly similar. Any help as to which kind I have? Any reason as to why I was told me it's a DE if in fact it is a cartridge?

Thanks
    16K gal Plaster Pool (built approx. 1999)| 2HP Purex Triton WhisperFlo Pump | Polaris PB4 Booster Pump | Purex Triton Sea Horse Cartridge Filter FSH 500 (DE grids inside) | Hayward Vari-Flo Valve | Compool 3-Way Valves | Chlorine/Bromine Feeder Model 320 (Rainbow Lifegard) | Laars Lite Heater | Whisper Jet II (Tropic Air) | 6'9" x 6'9" Spa
    Dallas-Ft. Worth Metroplex

12. Back To Top    #12

Have you been putting DE in it?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

I'll have to open it up and see once I get home. My wife was home when the company came for the initial assessment of our pool and they informed her it was a DE filter. I checked out all our equipment last night to make sure my signature here was up to par and noticed it read "Sea Horse Cartridge Filter." I emailed them again to clarify, and they stated again that it is a DE filter. I found this topic and noticed that I have the exact same looking filter so it has me questioning it again? By your response, does that mean that this piece of equipment is interchangeable? As in you choose one or the other and continue with it.
    16K gal Plaster Pool (built approx. 1999)| 2HP Purex Triton WhisperFlo Pump | Polaris PB4 Booster Pump | Purex Triton Sea Horse Cartridge Filter FSH 500 (DE grids inside) | Hayward Vari-Flo Valve | Compool 3-Way Valves | Chlorine/Bromine Feeder Model 320 (Rainbow Lifegard) | Laars Lite Heater | Whisper Jet II (Tropic Air) | 6'9" x 6'9" Spa

14. Back To Top    #14

I'm pretty sure it's not a DE filter.
    Can you read the label?
    If so does it say DE or cartridge filter?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

I'm sure this will sound foolish, but it definitely says cartridge on the outside. At my job many terms are interchaneagle, so I just wanted to make sure this wasn't a similar situation. Thanks again.

16. Back To Top    #16

Digging around online, I am able to find replacement cartridges labeled for that filter of 75, 100, and 125 sq. ft. in all cases needing 4 for each filter model. The total size (300, 400, 500 sq. ft.) also would suggest it is a cartridge and not DE filter (DE would be smaller in surface area). See: http://www.aqua-man.com/schematic.asp?kc=S1343
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

17. Back To Top    #17

WOW! Thanks a lot for the info and link!