Outdoor Remote

May 3, 2010
Hello All,
So I have an outdoor speaker system that feeds into a sonos system inside the house. I would like to have a simple remote control outside where I can mute or skip a song. The problem seems to be the distance and battery of most remotes. It needs to be durable enough to work in the daytime and be easy to use so others can use it. It needs to be weatherproof, waterproof, heatproof for the hot tub and have a good battery life (maybe solar with lithium battery). Does anyone have a recommendations for a weatherproof remote? I have phone apps, but the problem is the battery goes down quick. It would probably have to have a wifi or bluetooth connection, since IR wont work in the daytime. Thanks for your ideas.

Brian

Do you say you have an app that you use on your phone or tablet? If so, I use my phone to control the volume and shuffling of songs with my Galaxy S4, and have no issues with the battery life. I charge it every day so, it isn't an issue.

Yes, there is an app on my phone. But the problem is I really don't want my phone around the pool for any reason. So I was thinking if there was some kind of outdoor remote control for the system then I wouldn't have to build anything.

Ok, it was my birthday yesterday and I got a gift in the mail from an unknown sender. It answered my question. It was a waterproof smartwatch called the Pebble. There is an android and ios app called kronos that is a sonos remote. So now I am in the hottub and can change the volume, pause and skip songs. Awesome!

Something I have seen..

Our neighbors actually have taken their older iPhones/smart phones and iPads with a waterproof case and just use those as quick remotes and even internet and texts. Controls lighting, sound, tv, automatic sun shades, even locks the front door or closes garage remotely in some cases.. Pretty cool. Wonder if it could make our favorite adult beverages.. Lol

Their normal smartphone stays out of the way and they can just sit in the pool or spa and relax.
When we get our pool and backyard laid out.. No doubt I will look to do similar.
Low cost and high appeal and value option.

Once the first neighbor did it, the others followed since they all had an older phone or tablet laying around.
The wifi was extended.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.