Dirt returning

DeeMac

LifeTime Supporter
May 18, 2012
Munster, IN
For the past summer and now this spring, we have been getting dirt on our pool floor after vacuuming. Last year we found a pipe underground that was broke. Replaced that. Our mutiport valve was bad and replaced that this spring. Upon opening this spring, our pump was cracked in a few places so we replaced that with a new 1 hp Hayward Super pump. We recently put in new sand and on opening up the filter, we found no laterals that were cracked so added new sand and added some DE. After vacuuming and backwashing we see the the dirt return at the bottom of the pool. We have tried skimmer socks on the returns and do see the dirt in them. I am running out of ideas on how the dirt is coming back through the returns and settling on the bottom. What else could be wrong with my filter? Here is a picture of my filter......GetAttachment.jpg

Welcome to the forum. :wave: This is a common problem. It is not uncommon for the problem not to be dirt, but dead algae.

Can you pick up the dirt and roll it between your thumb and finger? It should be gritty. If it poofs up and blows away when you try to pick it up, there is a good chance it is dead algae and you need to SLAM your pool.

Can you post a complete set of test results and tell us what your water looks like?

I do not have the good test kit yet. But my water is crystal clear except for the brown looking spots along the seams and creases of our pool. Those spots do pouf up when we brush them though. We have been fighting this since last year. Other than that, the water looks crystal clear. I think we will try the SLAM process and see if that helps along with a good test kit.
THank you so much for your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.