New Home, First Pool

May 26, 2014
Windham, NH
Purchasing a home in Southern, NH within next 30 days with a 25k gal IG pool. We have a large family and would like to make the switch to a SWG from chemicals.

Hoping someone in this area, active on the boards, would be willing to come out, look at all the gear and teach me the right way to do things!

I lieu of that, where should I start? :)

Please feel free to ask any questions you have about the pool and equipment.
If you can post pics it will be much better to give any advice about the equipment.

Also, please study pool school and make yourself aquainted with the name of stuff and the minimul chemicals we recommend and how each one works.
You will be light years ahead if the game also if you get one of the recommended test kits and have it ready the day the keys are handed to you.

Sorry this took so long, here is what we have for equipment.

Moving in by July 4th, hoping to learn what I can in the next few weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

More picturesView attachment 30142

- - - Updated - - -

I have a couple more pictures but it wont let me upload more, says I have reached my 250k max?

Attachments

• 20140601_194311_Android (Custom).jpg
    20140601_194311_Android (Custom).jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 101
  • 20140601_194344_Android (Custom).jpg
    20140601_194344_Android (Custom).jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 101
  • 20140601_194413_Android (Custom).jpg
    20140601_194413_Android (Custom).jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 101
Do you have a test kit? See here: Test Kit Comparison. I'd recommend the TF 100.

Every piece of advice you'll get here is based on your test results. Not bad results from a pool store.

Even if you go with a SWG, you still need to test your pool regularly and you still need chemicals.

I'd order the kit now if you can confidently keep track of it til you move. :p But maybe better off ordering it right before you move in. Test your pool water, test the water you may have to fill it with and post the results here. That's the only way the experts here can help.

:testresults:

Read lots of Pool School before you move in. It might not make sense but read as much as you can handle and it will make lots of sense once you start having to do it.

Also. Attaching pictures is not recommended. It's best you create or use an account on a photo sharing website like photobucket.com

There is a tutorial on how to link to pictures using a photo hosting site here Posting Photos Tutorial

Or if you take pictures using a smart phone, you can download the Tapatalk app and access the forum through there. It's easy to attach pictures from that app to your posts.

Last edited:
What should I know about SWG vs chemicals? Wasn't aware I would still need chemicals along with SWG. I want the most "natural" setup I can get. We have a large YOUNG family and hate chemicals on their skin and clothing.

Here are pics of all the equipment

First pool, need to be shown the ropes

We are finally signing papers this Friday!!!

Having never owned a pool before I was hoping a member here could show us, or recommend a company to come out and show us, how to run the pool. Property is in Windham, NH.

Re: First pool, need to be shown the ropes

Welcome to the Forum.

I suggest you should start reading Pool School ( button on upper right of this page), to get an understanding of pool chemistry:
What is TFPC?
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
Basic Pool Care Schedule
How to Chlorinate Your Pool
Chlorine CYA Chart
Recommended Levels
PoolMath

Do not hesitate to ask questions, there are a lot of very experienced people here that can help with just about any problem you have.

By the way, they like to see pool pictures, especially the green one's. ( sick puppies ) Just kidding.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: First pool, need to be shown the ropes

Welcome. You've received good advice.

Pool School is where it's at.

My first pool.... Rookie mistake.

Moved in today, never owned a pool before. Last owners were shall we say, less than helpful. Saw some debris in the basket near the pump, decided to shut the pump off and clean the basket. Had pine needles and flowers in it.

I also thought it would be a great idea to put the lever to backwash with the pump off just to see what would happen.....

I now have no moving water in my pump.

How do I fix? :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.