Cleaner Pressure Pump Surging

May 26, 2014
United States
I recently replaced my ancient noisy pressure pump with a new PBR-40 that runs my Polaris pool cleaner.
It was working fine until I pulled the pool filter to clean it. Now the pressure pump isn't really working,
it gets big surges. I pulled the cleaner hose and removed the pressure regulator and made sure it was working,
because I noticed I was not getting any flow out of it. Put it back in and it seemed to work again,
but only for 1 day. The next day, I get the same surging again, and no flow out the pressure regulator.
Took it back out, and it works, put it back in, and still surging.

It appears I am getting a lot of bubbles in the pressure line, if I disconnect the cleaner hose, I see lots of bubbles
coming out. I've also noticed my recirculating pump (replaced 3 years ago) is not moving a lot of water,
the suction when doing a manual cleaner is very low. I'm wondering if the recirculating pump just can't keep up
with the pressure pump now, so it ends up sucking in air??

I've done google searches and have not found any real help on the surge issue,
so could really use some help here. Thanks, Jack

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

It's not clear to me that the pressure pump has anything to do with your problem.

Anytime you get air in your system, it is a suction side air leak.....somewhere between the skimmer(s) and the main pool pump. There is an article in pool school that describes them and will get you started looking for a cure.

PS - both pumps running, look down inside your skimmer(s) and make sure your water level is not so low that air is being sucked in by a vortex created in the skimmer.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

It's not clear to me that the pressure pump has anything to do with your problem.

Anytime you get air in your system, it is a suction side air leak.....somewhere between the skimmer(s) and the main pool pump. There is an article in pool school that describes them and will get you started looking for a cure.

PS - both pumps running, look down inside your skimmer(s) and make sure your water level is not so low that air is being sucked in by a vortex created in the skimmer.

I don't get any bubbles in my returns. The only air bubbles are coming from the pressure pump to the cleaner hose.
The skimmer is only about half full now, still above the intake hole to the circulating pump. Just doesn't seem to be moving enough water.
I'm going to tear open the circulating pump and see if something is clogging up the vanes,
that would explain the surging and bubbles?

Opened the circulating pump, and there was quite a bit of carnage inside. It ingested some big plastic parts,
one big piece still intact, the rest about merged into one with the impeller cover (diffuser). The impeller 'nose cone'
with not really there anymore.

OK, so now to fix it. Looks like I can replace just the impeller and the diffuser according to the parts diagram.
Question is how to remove the impeller? Looks like just a screw holding it in the diagram, I don't see a screw on mine unless
it has a cover over it that pops off? It is a Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro 1/2 HP P6E6C-204L (just for the record)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.