Can't Keep Chlorine ... Done with Leslies

May 26, 2014
Las Vegas NV
Hello,

All of a sudden I can't keep the chlorine levels above 0. I've been to Leslies and have shocked week after week, but after a few days the chlorine level is back to 0 even with 6 tablets in pool (most I ever used last year was 3 in July/Aug). Thank god I found this site! I have a TH-100 test kit on order and, for now, will post the only results I have (from Leslies this morning). Pool water is crystal clear and there is a white film on goggles after swimming. On my way to get some liquid chlorine and am ready for SLAM procedures, but won't have my kit until later in the week. Am I on the right track? PLEASE HELP! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

FAC = 0
CYA = 90
TA = 100
PH = 7.6 (I tested at 7.2)
TDS = 1400
Pho = 0

Congrats on dumping leslies and cya up in the form of tabs and shock ;) just be aware, leslies was telling me my cya was 40 for months until I got my own test kit and found it to be over 340. 40,000 gallons later, I finally got it down to 50. You might just find out yours is considerably higher than what leslies is telling you. Hope not, but -----

If it's that high or higher you're probably safe not waiting and do a 50-75% replacement now. Make sure you close the valves to your skimmers if you have a separate main bottom drain so you're not sucking air. Unfortunately I didn't do that and irreparably froze my cleaner boost pump, and was probably lucky the main drain provided enough water flow to not do the same to my filter pump.

If you like, you can drain from the bottom of the deep end and hang a water hose over the shallow end and refill at the same time. This would lessen any likelyhood of a plaster problem.

Sounds like you are finally fed up with being 'pool stored' like tons of other folks here.
Congrats are in order for getting your own reliable test kit on order and are taking control of your pool (and your wallet)!

You wont be sorry.

I look forward to seeing your sparkling clear pool with minimal expense and time spent keeping it that way from now on!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Decided to Drain ... Wait or do now?

Merged by moderator to keep your story together. jblizzle

Hello,

After posting a message the other day I've decided to drain/refill my pool, but my new testing kit wont arrive until next Monday. Should I wait until the kit arrives to do so or will test strips suffice until the test kit arrives? Also, with the temps reaching 100 here in Vegas should I be adding chlorine or anything while the pool is filling? It should take under 2 days to drain/refill. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Well, at this point you do not know how much water you need to drain to get the CYA and CH down. Also given the heat, it may not be a good idea to have the plaster exposed without water for very long. You could certainly do a partial drain and fill and then test when the kit comes in.

So replacing 50% will certainly not hurt anything ... although you may learn latter that you need to do that again.

Also, depending on your CH, you may also want to replace more water.

I really appreciate everyones help. Thanks alot! Looks like my test kit will be here by end of day tomorrow (earlier than expected). When I get the kit I'm assuming I should test and post my numbers before doing anything?

- - - Updated - - -

I already told the same story too. Sorry about that!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.