Difference between timer settings and Speed settings

May 18, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ
I searched but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I do not understand the difference between the timer settings and Speed settings. Both have speed and length of time to operate.

Here are my settings:

Timer:
Low: 1400 10pm to 3am 7D
Cleaning: 2350 3am to 7am 7D
Timer 3: 1950 9:30 to 5:30pm Saturday. This is only used when we're in the pool We like circulating water when using the pool and it's the only way the spillway from the spa to the pool works.

Speed:
Speed 1 1400 5 hours
Speed 2 2350 4 hours
Speed 3 1950 8 hours (only as desired)
Speed 4 (Backwash) 2800 30 minutes

We live in Scottsdale,AZ where it's really hot. We run the pump at night and for a lot longer than less hot areas.

What do I look at when setting the pump to run? The timer settings? The speed settings? Which is default?

The owner's manual is one of the worst manuals I've read. It give what each thing is but not how or why or which to use.

Thanks!

After further research, my guess is that the timer settings are for the nightly cleaning. The blue speed buttons are manual settings for when we want to run the pump during the day. But, I really don't know that. And based on the tech that installed it, my guess doesn't make sense.

Looks like a variable speed pump. The speed settings determines how hard the water is pushed, the timer is how long it runs. The 4 digit number is the rpm of the pump ( speed)

What kind of automation system do you have?

Well, duh, that would help! It's in my head but didn't make it to the written page.

Hayward EcoStar IS3401VSP

Sorry!

- - - Updated - - -

If the speed settings are for how hard the water is pushed, then why is there a setting for # of hours to run in each speed setting?
If the timer is for how long it runs, they why is there a setting for speed for each timer setting?

That's where it doesn't make sense.

They are trying to make it "easy" so you can program a schedule regardless of which way you get to the list. Though I agree that all they have done is make it more confusing.

When it comes down to it, there are four timers, each of which can be given a time to run and a speed to run at. You are just looking at them in different ways.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.