LifeTime Supporter
Oct 28, 2012
Houston TX 77064
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
OMG, don't ever do a project half asleep. Cloudy and muggy in Houston, perfect for Slamming and killy the last of the stuff in my pool for a perfect summer. Well calculated that 40 CYA bumps up the SLAM to 24 for the Mustard kill. Well did not pay attention to the % on the PoolMath of bleach was 6% to add 4.3 128oz - BUT, I have 10% 128oz, should have only added 2.6.

Now I am at 37.5 instead of 24 - my footer has pool details, chems before start

FC 4
CC 0
PH 7.4 (brought down for slam)
AK 100
CYA 40
CH 320

What do I do now?

Brush it is - my biceps will get pumped up. Pool is clear and bright, but you can smell the bleach. Pride all gone, apparently around this house - if you wear readers YOUR ARE too old. Ahg..... Thank you. Have a great Memorial Day, and bless all those that served.

Ok, guys, need some asuramces I am on right track - 35 went fast overnight down to 29 this morning before daylight. There is a monster in my pool! So adjusted for me being gone all day brought up to 34 and sure enough 14 hours later down to 23..5. So will adjust for night with enough to bring up to 34 since losing 10, but in theory, in the morning should have spent less, right? (Cause I am killing it) and I want to keep above 24 for CYA of 40.

In theory, yes, each addition should be smaller than the last, assuming you test and dose at precise intervals. Also not you won't lose any to the sun overnight. I'd dose it right now to get to SLAM, and check and add more just before bed. Also note that you lose a percentage of the FC to the sun, not a fixed amount, so at higher concentrations, you lose more ppm.

I have a weird question - developed a bad case of hives yesterday - could this be caused from the exposure to high chlorine? Only skin to water is to get good water for testing and excessive brushing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Itching all over but the hives are confind to joints and bends, which tells me more absorbtion then splash. Ruled out stress, food, etc.. only thing different is this project. Maybe the fumes, been raining a lot so the smell of bleach still there. Just thought would check. Thank you.

Recheck your ph and alkalinity... I've seen one of those low cause rashes before, couldn't tell you which though...

Edit: forgot you can't check your ph with that high of chlorine... Doh!!

Low PH is a measurement, not a product but yes.....my children have gotten very red itchy/irritated skin when our PH dropped. I think that is how I originally found this forum (I was really "new pool dumb"). It was borax to the rescue. Glad it happened as at that point I still had never walked into a pool store with a water sample. Year 3 with the pool.

ok, all, 4 full days and still working it, wanted to drop a couple of numbers on you to see if I am on right track, lot of rain, but also lot of sunshine:

2014-0526 80 degrees
FC 4.2 CC 0 PH 7.6 Ak 100 - 10am
remember this is what prompted this string - I put in too much bleach due to misread of 6% vs 10%
FC 35 - 11am
FC 40 - 2pm
FC 36 - 7pm
FC 32 - 11pm
2014-0527 80 degrees
FC 29 - 4:30am (brought up to 34, cause gone all day)
FC 23 (-11 in 15 hours) - 7pm (brought up to 34, cause bed time)
2014-0528 82 degrees
FC 26 (-8 in 12 hours) - 7am
FC 22 (-4 in 4 hours) - 11am (brought up to 24)
FC 11 (-13 in 7 hours) - 6pm (brought up to 34)
FC 27 (-7 in 2 hours) - 8pm (brought back up to 34)
FC 32 (-2 in 1 1/2 hours) - 9:30pm
2014-0529 85 degrees
FC 26 (-6 in 8 hours) - 5am
FC 24 (-2 in 5 hours) - 10am (brought up to 34)
FC 27 (-7 in 1 1/2 hours) - 11:30am (brought up to 34)
FC 7 (-27 in 7 hours) - 6pm (brought up to 24)
FC 27 - 7:00pm - looks like the 10% is really on the higher end of 12% bleach from pool store

does this make sense - cause I'm thinking this could go on forever - went through my 6 carton of bleach. The stain are fading - am brushing and cleaning. My pool was clear with the exception of that mustard algae, now it is looking brighter, whiter. So, I will keep going. Right? Remember dumbing up the pool for retirement, no lights no nothing in the pool. FYI: bring up to 34, due to work, and afraid it would drop to far and take longer to reclaim the drive.

Thoughts?

It never goes on forever unless you let your FC levels get too low... as long as you keep them at shock level then the bleach *will* kill whatever is growing in the pool. When you let the FC level drop too far below shock level then whatever you mostly-killed can grow back and seek bloody revenge on the pool owner.

(the whole SLAM thing works better if you make it a bit personal :))

Only thing I find a bit troubling is that you are losing a lot of FC during the day, so wondering if there's any chance your CYA level is actually lower than 40. If the CYA level is correct, wondering if it's worth taking the FC level up higher in the morning to keep it from dropping so low during the day ?

I checked every day for a week before doing this to make sure that CYA was correct. It is hot in Houston and my pool gets about 12 hours of sunlight this time of year, so not surprises but totally shocked at the day time loss.

I checked every day for a week before doing this to make sure that CYA was correct. It is hot in Houston and my pool gets about 12 hours of sunlight this time of year, so not surprises but totally shocked at the day time loss.

would I not also be losing the same amount if I do it every hour or every 12 hours?

Yes, you would lose the same amount but if you check & top up FC levels every hour the FC level will never get much below shock level, while if you check & top up every 12 hours the FC levels are quite low for a good part of the day. At best that means algae isn't dying as fast as it should so the SLAM is taking longer than normal, at worst it means algae is growing back during the day which would make your SLAM go on forever.

Make sense ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.